406 HDI (90) not starting ... not turning over at all!

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

dsab
1.6 8v

406 HDI (90) not starting ... not turning over at all!

Post by dsab »

Hi,

my 2002 406 failed my on Friday in France, where it now still is. Breakdown recovery sorted me out, and got me home, and my car will be delievered home (unrepaired) within the next 7 days.

I got some Diesel at the Gas Station, and then the Car didn't start anymore. If you turn the key it just doesn't do anything and doesn't make any noises at all. All the electrics and displays in the Car still work fine. If you push the car it will start and run no problem.

I am now not sure if this might be the ignition or the starter motor. Any idea, or did someone have the same Issue?

Cheers,
DSAB

P.S. Isn't it typical that the car didn't have a problem for almost 3 weeks (and 2.5k miles), but fails on the last day 40 miles before getting back onto the ferry
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: 406 HDI (90) not starting ... not turning over at all!

Post by steve_earwig »

Bugger :( You didn't give instructions to loose it off the side of the ferry when they bring it over did you? :wink:

Ignition switch, starter motor or... something in between. Did you try the age-old trick of clumping your starter motor with a hammer or something, in case the solenoid's jammed?

Looking at my 110 the feed to the starter motor solenoid is a very easy to get to grey wire (it's under a nut and has a green sleeve), you need to check there's 12 volts getting here when the key's turned to start (you may need an assistant).

If you don't get 12 volts you're looking at the ignition switch, there's been a lot of different faults with this so it's your prime suspect. Of course there's always the chance of a connector or something in between going faulty so see if there's 12 volts coming out of the starter feed when it's turned to start before you go ripping it to bits.

If there is 12 volts on the grey wire then the starter motor needs investigation, I don't think the battery feed will have fallen off but it's probably best to check :? (fireworks anyone?)

I don't think this would have anything to with the immobilizer (mine doesn't have one) but as far as I know, the engine would still crank, just not fire & it's doing that...

Btw I'm assuming manual transmission...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

its also not uncommon for the starter live cable (the thick red one) to snap as on some 406's they were made slightly too short,
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Smart :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
HDiAndy
1.8 16v

Post by HDiAndy »

sounds too familiar i know this experience aswell!

on Saturday i was making my way back to Dunkirk from Amsterdam with a friend after a euro road trip (Nurburgring, Berlin, Szcecin, Amsterdam :cheesy: ) and pulled into a petrol station outside Brugges. filled up and went to restart the car- turned over but wouldn't fire. after trying to troubleshoot the problem for half hour- fuses, fuel filter, make sure didn't fill with petrol etc i was forced to ask the station to phone a recovery truck. after another hour and half they arrived and took it to a local garage for €160 :cry: . an hour or so later they diagnosed the cam sensor. upshot was ferry missed and a 16hr trip home from Amsterdam which should have took 8 at most :( and €250 out of pocket all together

sounds like it is the ignition switch on yours btw. had this with a ZX many years back
Former 406 owner, now just another chav in a 306 D turbo!
dsab
1.6 8v

Post by dsab »

I just picked the car up from the local Peugeot dealer. It was indeed the Starter Motor that had to be replaced. Finding the problem, new starter motor and fitting it cost me 280 GBP altogether at the main dealership.

Dealer told me that a good mechanic would have had no problem getting it to work in France, as all it needed to start was a few hits with the hammer. Something inside the starter motor was stuck, and would loosen up when "hammered". :shock:

Hope it is the last repair for a while, but after all it is a peugeot. :mrgreen: