Air Con Re Gas`

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

adam03031980
2.0 Turbo

Air Con Re Gas`

Post by adam03031980 »

Hi all my lovely pug 406 hdi 110 has just started blowing out warm air just in time for summer and am wondering if there are any DIY kits for regassing your own air con
mbell666
3.0 24v

Re: Air Con Re Gas`

Post by mbell666 »

I think you can get top up kits but i wouldn't bother.

Can normally get a re-gas (drain and re-fill i think) for about £45. will do a much better job than some dodgy top up kit.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

You'd want to get it pressure tested to make sure there's no leaks as well!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
rapport25
3.0 24v
Location: either in my Audi SQ5+, X- trail Aventura or Mini Cooper Cab

Post by rapport25 »

Totally agree get it pressure tested first. Mine decided to pack up a while a go it needed a new condensor plus new pipework a very expensive lesson :cry: i think i payed around £100 for the condensor and around £60 for a bit of pipework a bastard of a job to replace pipework. Plus re gassing. Great when its working apparently the pugs have one of the best climate control systems on the market. Mine is working very well now 8)
siriuf
1.6 8v

Post by siriuf »

Yeah well, I'm currently waiting for a bank loan to get my aircon sorted. The local garage said it needed a new pipe & regassing. Left the car overnight, they got back to me today saying the condensor needs replacement as well 'cause a piece of the pipe is corroded into it.

Would you believe it, @ 3:00pm on a saturday & bank holiday weekend to boot! The car is in pieces and all the part shops are closed till tuesday. Which means I have no car for the weekend. :x Oh, happy days!
Smile! You're on speed camera.
rapport25
3.0 24v
Location: either in my Audi SQ5+, X- trail Aventura or Mini Cooper Cab

Post by rapport25 »

Sorry to hear that :x cars dont you just love em. Its the worst prob i have had on my pug. One problem opened up a bag of worms. Touch wood plus all the money spent it working a treat now. First the ecu for the climate packed up. Covered under warranty plus cat went covered under warranty. A year passed and the a/c packed up warrranty expired :cry: . The condensor was shot after a regas and pressure &dye test revealed it was leaking. Then it was still leaking the pipework was shot. Nightmare of a job had to heat the pipe to get it free it was that badly corroded. I got a mobile guy to come out much cheaper than a garage he got parts at trade for me and i fitted them and he re gassed the pug for me great guy and service. He does a free yearly check for me. As he was mobile i could use my car and it was not off the road. Cant understand why you are not driving yours it only the a/c thats not working :shock: . Hope you get it sorted soon 8)
siriuf
1.6 8v

Post by siriuf »

rapport25 wrote:Sorry to hear that :x cars dont you just love em. Its the worst prob i have had on my pug. One problem opened up a bag of worms. Touch wood plus all the money spent it working a treat now. First the ecu for the climate packed up. Covered under warranty plus cat went covered under warranty. A year passed and the a/c packed up warrranty expired :cry: . The condensor was shot after a regas and pressure &dye test revealed it was leaking. Then it was still leaking the pipework was shot. Nightmare of a job had to heat the pipe to get it free it was that badly corroded. I got a mobile guy to come out much cheaper than a garage he got parts at trade for me and i fitted them and he re gassed the pug for me great guy and service. He does a free yearly check for me. As he was mobile i could use my car and it was not off the road. Cant understand why you are not driving yours it only the a/c thats not working :shock: . Hope you get it sorted soon 8)
The garage had the front end of the car in pieces.I know it could have been put back together in an hour or so, but to be honest it's too much of a hassle to take it back to the garage on tuesday to do the aircon job. It was better to leave the car there & get it after the aircon's sorted. I've got another car to get me through the weekend anyway...

Cheers!
Smile! You're on speed camera.