Engine management light and limp-home mode

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Engine management light and limp-home mode

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

Hi, I own an X-reg 2.2 Sri petrol. Sometimes the engine management light stays on after starting the engine and the car goes into limp-home mode. Stopping and re-starting the engine nearly always fixes this, although the light stays on. I recently had the engine chipped and the air sensor replaced and the car was amazing until yesterday. Now we're back to management lights and limp-home mode.

What does this mean? How do I cure it? I hope my engine isn't rogered, this is the first decent non-turbo car I have owned. Thanks for any help.
ImageImage
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Engine management light and limp-home mode

Post by Welly »

The 2.2 petrol is sensitive to EGR faults throwing up the check engine light.

Chipping a non-turbo engine normally makes it run pig rich at low speed thus adding to the EGR problem :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Re: Engine management light and limp-home mode

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

The chipping is something I've always wanted to do, but in this case I was told the car was running lean due to the induction kit, so it was chipped to compromise. I never got limp-home and rarely saw the diagnostic light after chipping, but Pug Parts did diagnose a faulty throttle positioning sensor (not oxygen sensor as I said earlier, sorry).

The sensor was replaced AFTER I managed 75 laps at Elvington (including 33 laps in one go, a 70-minute run) without any problems of any kind. The reason they replaced it was that I sometimes saw the diagnostic light without going into limp-home.

That was 2 months ago and I haven't had a problem until now.

After they replaced the sensor, Pug Parts "downloaded" something to my ECU. They said this shouldn't affect the map. But it seems to me that uploading information would overwrite anything already present in the ECU.

I repeat that I have not had a problem relating to the chip. If anything, when the car is in perfect condition, the chip made it more powerful at high revs. The increase was noticeable.
ImageImage