406 automatic driveshafts

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Waldo155
1.6 8v

406 automatic driveshafts

Post by Waldo155 »

Hi to the group, I have just re-registered (formerly okehdokeh) after not being able to access the site on my old name/password for some reason or another.
I am looking for a pair of good driveshafts for a 2003 110 HDI automatic or even a set I can rebuild to service exchange mine that are on the car at the moment.
Looking around on the internet I seem to be having trouble finding anybody supplying these as recon units in the UK, there are plenty of manual gearbox shafts available but the auto shafts seem pretty elusive.

Would anyone also be able to give me the correct PSA numbers for both shafts on my car, I'm sure it's an AL4 auto adaptive box, I just want to be 100% sure I'm looking at the correct shafts when searching.

Many thanks, Paul
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: 406 automatic driveshafts

Post by Doggy »

Hello again Paul,

Does this help?

(Can't get access to ServiceBox anymore but the PSA Asia sites seem to work)

https://catalogs.ssg.asia/peugeot/?lang ... aWVyPT0%3D
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Waldo155
1.6 8v

Post by Waldo155 »

Thanks Doggy that's a great help and much appreciated 👍 . I did have a link to something similar but think that was a Russian site and am unable to view anymore, no surprise really given the circumstances.

Looking here now I have the part numbers https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/oem-number/3273kj there seems to be a difference in oil seal sizes, I guess I will have to remove my shafts or at least one of them to get the right measurements before ordering. It does seem odd that there would be two different seal sizes on the AL4 box??
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Post by WillNZ »

I have just removed the AL4 box from a 2003 hdi and converted it to manual. SWIMBO refuses to drive an auto so I was ordered to rectify.. :cheesy:

The shafts fit into the AL4 differently. the driver's side shaft (long one) has a female spline socket which locates onot the male spline in the AL4. The passenger side (short one) has a male spline on the end of the inner CV which fits into the female spline in the AL4. This would probably explain the differing seal sizes in the gearbox.

If you want me to measure/photograph anything to save you stripping yours, let me know.

No point in offering the shafts to you, freight from the other side of the world would be horrendous... :shock: But if you are desperate...?
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
Waldo155
1.6 8v

Post by Waldo155 »

Hi Will, thanks for the info 👍. I can see the adaptor sleeve on the R/H shaft now you've told me that. I was thinking of just replacing the CV joints but guess the inner joint may be worn too, they look like the original shafts and have just turned 20 years old so they've not done too bad.

That's good of you to offer to measure them, if I get stuck I'll drop you a line. Thanks.