dpf warning light

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bill345

dpf warning light

Post by Bill345 »

my 2002 406 2.2 hdi .dpf cleaned,dpf sensor replaced.fault codes reset.car drives well for miles then turbo pressure is reduced and car loses power.if i stop ,switch off engine wait for a minute and restart then full power is restored may go for miles or fail again after a mile or so.eloys fluid tank low message appears but it has just been filled and after a few thousan miles it took a litre of fluid.also shows glow plug circuit fault .next job replace plugs and relay,although car starts very easy even in freezig weather, any advice would be welcomem thanks
WillNZ
2.0 16v

Re: dpf warning light

Post by WillNZ »

I wouldnt worry about the glow plug warning. PP2K probably reports 95% of all 406's glow plugs as faulty, it is a well known anomaly. Glow plugs are really only used when temps are below freezing. If car is starting easily, ignore it.

You can test glow plugs individually with a multimeter. Remove the lead from the top and measure the resistance between the threaded bit and ground. It should be around an ohm. Open circuit or high resisance means faulty.. removing glow plugs is also risky. They can sieze and shear off etc. when trying to remove them. So be VERY cautious when trying to remove them!!!

You need to reset the eloys fluid amount with PP2K. It does not detect fluid level, rather calculates each dose used from full and works out that tank is now low/empty. This might be the reason it is putting you into limp mode.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

+1 on both points.

Ignore the glowplug warning, they pretty much all do that.

You won't get rid of the low fluid warning without resetting it via PP2k, (which I've personally never managed to do despite several attempts), or doing away with the DPF/additive system.

When you experience reduced power, does the engine management light come on?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi.

Don't worry about the glow plug message, it seems pretty much every Hdi has this and changing the plugs isn't necessary.

If you've filled the additive tank then you'll just need to reset the counter which may need either booking in at a main stealer of finding a member here with the Peugeot Planet diagnostics to do it for you.

Your car is simply going into limp mode because it doesn't know the tank is refilled.

Edit - beaten to it.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Bill345

Post by Bill345 »

on starting from cold the dpf light is off, after about a quarter of a mile it comes on and stays on but at this point i still have full turbo power .but after this i can go 30 miles or more with no issues or maybe only a mile dpf light remains on as does the engine management light..the dpf light goes off with engine swithed off for a couple of minutes.comes back after short drive .additive tank was full 2 weeks ago but not according to the display readout whih pops up.
thanks for your replys bill
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

There is no level sensor in the additive tank, you'll need to tell the Additive ECU that there is plenty in the tank so it won't have a hissy fit :cheesy:

If you add your location to your profile using the User Control Panel then maybe a member local to you could help out?

Kelv
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.