Flywheel locking tool for 406 automatic

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

WillNZ
2.0 16v

Re: Flywheel locking tool for 406 automatic

Post by WillNZ »

Oh, and a compression test will not pick up minor leaks in cylinders, you need to do a cylinder leak down test to pick those up.
Serial 406hdi licker :cheesy:
okehdokeh
1.8 16v

Re: Flywheel locking tool for 406 automatic

Post by okehdokeh »

Sorry for the late reply but after my last post things got worse with the 406 and I landed up pulling the cylinder head off of it. It develop a loud chirping noise when the oil temperature hit about 90 degrees, at this point it also started to suck in some oil from the oil return galley next to #4 cylinder and burn it.

I had the head checked/skimmed and valves and seats re-cut (Engine services in Leicester for £80), the car is now back together and running well again.

All in my 406 has recently had a re-con turbo (shaft bearing spun and blocked oil way on old one), new water pump, timing belt and pulleys, a re-con high pressure fuel pump plus the head work already mentioned. Luckily I was able to do all the spanner work myself so saved a lot of cash there, maybe if I had to pay somebody for the labour costs the old girl would have had to go :(

If anyone ever does this job and shears half of the torx head off of a head bolt as I did :roll: I have made a two piece guide tool for drilling and milling the rest of the bolt head off in-situ and you are welcome to use it 👍

Thanks for all the advice and help again folks, Paul.