Head gasket replacement RHZ..

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

jlmacd
1.8 16v

Head gasket replacement RHZ..

Post by jlmacd »

So, I appear left facing two choices: replace the head gasket or lose the car. It’s still currently drivable, short distances up to 20 miles maybe before the overheating presents but, obviously, that’s not going to cure itself. No smoke evident, white or blue. No oil in coolant or coolant in oil (mayo). Just the blasted back pressure in expansion and overheating problem.

I don’t have the budget to foot the labour bill to strip down the head but am contemplating whether to have a go myself.
I am not a mechanic but am pretty competent. (Managed to repair the auto box which gave me great satisfaction)

Can anyone here who may have undertaken the task themselves offer any words of encouragement (or caution!) if this is worth a go?

Engine is 2.0 HDi 110 (RHZ)

Many thanks
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Head gasket replacement RHZ..

Post by GingerMagic »

Doggy, is Jasper5 still loitering the forum from time to time?

If anyone can offer pearls of wisdom the it'll be him.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi Kelv, looks like Jasper5 has not been active on the site for over 3 years, I'm sure he said he was retiring.

Sorry I can't help you there.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Try driving it with the pressure cap loose, this can relieve the pressure and stop it blowing the water out. Depends on how bad the leak is but I ran and XM like this for quite a few thousand miles. This will of course lower the boiling point of the coolant but providing you don't thrash it or take it somewhere very hot it could well solve the problem. If it still blows out coolant with the pressure removed it's beyond help I'm afraid. Changing the gasket is fiddly but quite doable.

Peter
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Many thanks for the suggestion Peter. Certainly worth a try.
Am currently trying to obtain detailed instruction of how to replace the head gasket - but not having much success! I have the Haynes manual for the car but have been trawling the net trying to find some video info showing the process. No luck so far though for the specific engine (2.0 hdi 110 RHZ). Found one for the PSA TU 8v but obviously not the right engine.
Willing to attempt the procedure if I can discover the method but sadly don’t have the benefit of experience!
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I have been looking on Youtube, thought there was sure to be a video but can't find one, worth having a look though. I did have a 406 Haynes manual but I lent it to someone ....

Most head gasket swaps are similar, mainly a question of disconnecting everything, exhaust, fuel system and cooling system. Its difficult to get the the exhaust manifold bolts but not so much if you take the head off with the manifold, two bolts disconnect the exhaust system. All the air intake pipes come off fairly easily as do the fuel lines. I think haynes manuals are available on Ebay, they will give you a step by step guide.

Peter

Have a look through these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 6&_sacat=0
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Thanks again Peter. I do have the Haynes manual for the car - was just hoping there may have also been a bit of additional visual guidance online. I haven’t given up searching though!
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

It can be a long slog but worth the effort.

Peter