Water pump fixing ?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mayeux
1.6 8v

Water pump fixing ?

Post by Mayeux »

Hi just fetched our 90 hdi estate back from the garage , it was in for a timing belt kit plus the water pump , but when we paid the bill the owner told us it had not been possible to change the pump as they couldn't undo one of the fixings , has any one come across this before ? The pump has been on for 100k so unless its changed think the cars days are numbered , shame as its only got 180k on the clock .
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Water pump fixing ?

Post by PeterN »

Can't quite understand that myself unless they have broken a bolt off in the block, I would request further information. I have changed pumps at over 200k and not had a problem. If it not leaking you could leave it for now, I haven't always changed the pump and its lasted, until one sprung a leak a few thousand miles after I had changed the belt on an XM - I always do now.

Peter
Mayeux
1.6 8v

Post by Mayeux »

I had wondered the same or he had rounded a nut , but what I didnt say was a couple of years ago I took it to a pals garage with a coolant leak on the bottom hose connection , he said they were such a bitch to make good that it would be better to put a leak sealer in the system , and to be honest its not leaked since , but will we get any notice that the pump is on its way out . Would it be an engine out job if a fixing had sheared?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

You can usually see when the pump is leaking as there is a drain hole at the bottom, if they get very worn they get noisy but if yours is not noisy or leaking I wouldn't worry about it for the moment.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

+1
Keep a lookout for leaks, listen for unusual noises, watch the coolant level and get a feel for the normal behaviour of the temperature gauge so you can spot any changes. The pump may well last for years.

If you do notice an unusual noise, you can remove the auxilliary drive belt and safely run the engine without it to test - this will eliminate any noise from the alternator, aircon compressor, aux belt, idler, tensioner and probably the crank pulley.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Mayeux
1.6 8v

Post by Mayeux »

Thank you both , think we will do as you say , its really hard though when you have spent your life trying to stay in front of the curve with preventive maintenance