406 Cam belt

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Xavier

406 Cam belt

Post by Xavier »

Hi. Many thanks for letting me join. I live in France and have just bought my second 406. This one is a 1998 1.9td Berline saloon. Now wishing I hadn't scrapped the other one as I could have used the bits... Ho-hum. Anyway, the garage I bought it from assured me that they had done the cam belt and water pump. Sadly, I don't believe them - there is no sign that the work has been done. And as the last change is down as 2009, I want to be sure. One thing I am sure of is the mileage is genuine at 80000 kms - yep, 50000 miles. So my question is: Is there a quick way to check the belt? I did do a belt change on the last one which, for a home mechanic, was a bit of a trial, but I don't want to start stripping away stuff I don't need to just to get a quick shuftee... Any help gratefully received. Look forward to a long association with the forum! Many thanks, guys :-)
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: 406 Cam belt

Post by Doggy »

Hi and welcome aboard. 8)

I've changed 5 or 6 HDi timing belts over the years and to be honest I've never removed one that looked worn or damaged despite many of them having done 5 years or at least 70k miles. In other words I don't think you can tell looking at it.

I think the best approach is to realise that you're unlikely to have to do it twice unless you have the car for more than 5 years or do a lot of miles. On the other hand you will probably have to do it at some point, so plan it in for a convenient point in the next 6 months and get it done for peace of mind.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Xavier

Re: 406 Cam belt

Post by Xavier »

Many thanks, Doggy. You've relieved a fretting mind. Appreciate your reply. Best. Steve (Xavier - couldn't find anything to do with Steve which hadn't already been taken)