Any Recommendations For Timing Belt Kits & Fitting Timing Belt

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

tonyredz
1.8 8v

Any Recommendations For Timing Belt Kits & Fitting Timing Belt

Post by tonyredz »

Hello,

Need to get the timing belt changed. Last had it done 10 years ago at a Peugeot dealer. I see on some earlier posts people recommending Gates, Dayco or Contitech belt kits. I see also Bosch kits available. Any other kits / belts worth considering?

I Just want to check a couple of things as I won't be going to Peugeot dealers this time.

Do the auxiliary drive belt, crankshaft pulley, tensioner and idler pulleys etc need to be changed at intervals? There are no rattles or noises, just wondering if anyone could advise on that as they are àll still original from 2003.

Also, any advice specific to changing the timing belt & water pump on a 2.0 hdi 90 hp. I see on this post below advice on Cam belt tensioning on a 2.2 hdi engine. Does this also apply to the 2.0 hdi 90 hp engine?

viewtopic.php?t=17085

Would be grateful for anything to be aware of when changing the belt / water pump or recommendations for kits & where to buy etc

Thanks in advance.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Any Recommendations For Timing Belt Kits & Fitting Timing Belt

Post by PeterN »

I get most of my bits from Ebay, a lot of competition there so prices are usually better than elsewhere. Any of the kits you mention are good. Its a long time since I did one, the tensioning is the most important thing. Have a look on Youtube there is bound to be a video on there. I have C5s now, with the 16 valve engine, much easier to tension.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Any Recommendations For Timing Belt Kits & Fitting Timing Belt

Post by Doggy »

As Peter says, all the kits you mentioned are good.

I would recommend changing the aux drive belt tensioner and idler as a failure of any of these can lead to the aux belt getting tangled in the timing belt with dire consequences.

The procedure for equalising the timing belt tension either side of the cambelt pulley in the post you linked to applies to the HDi 90/110 engines as well as 2.2's, (they're all the same as far as the timing belt is concerned - the 2.2's 2nd camshaft is chain driven off the first).
Believe it or not, this process is well documented in the Haynes manual. :shock:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)