Where can I buy a dipstick?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

RealEstate

Where can I buy a dipstick?

Post by RealEstate »

Hi,

I have a 1998 2.1 406 td estate which has been in the family for several years and have since inherited it. The car had half a dipstick for years (original owner had broken it) and when I pulled the dipstick out for the first time, the remainder disintegrated upon removal.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement one?

Cheers
'98 2.1 TD Estate
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Re: Where can I buy a dipstick?

Post by trufflehunt »

2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
RealEstate

Post by RealEstate »

I've already looked on eBay and the only one on there in the UK that is correctly listed is being sold for 30 quid (wtf?!).

Filtering like you have in the link gives one result which is actually incorrectly listed. When you click on the listing for it you can enter the car details again and it tells you its wrong. It also doesn't look like the original.

I think I will probably end up getting some high temperature filament and 3D print my own end and mate it to the existing metal part of the dipstick I have.
'98 2.1 TD Estate
Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

Actually it seems the top listing are correct for your engine.

If you take a look at the attached part diagram, the 2.1 engine has a dipstick with part number 1174 31, while the top listing also shows part number of 1174 31.

2.1 part diagram.jpg
(447 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Also I wouldn't trust too much about eBay compatibility filtering. They don't have database of what's compatible and what's not, eBay relied on the seller inputting that information for every product they sell.
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now
RealEstate

Post by RealEstate »

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming you mean the ad which is labelled "Oil Level Dipstick Citroen Evasion Xantia XM I II Peugeot 406 806 2.1 TD 117431", I would have bought this ages ago as it its the correct with the part numbers, as you say, however spending 31 pounds ( :shock: ) on a dipstick is going to be a tough pill to swallow. I spent around 55 pounds on 4 brand new discs and 4 brand new pairs of pads!
'98 2.1 TD Estate
Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

I'm not sure how resistant the filament is as I couldn't imagine any dissolved plastic in oil is a good thing. So if you do decide to 3D print the dipstick extension make sure that it could withstand hot oil for prolonged period of time. The eBay listing also mentioned the max and min length from handle which you could use as a reference.

If it were my car, I would make a separate dipstick using thin aluminium rod/tube which would only be used when I need to check the oil level, while the original broken dipstick stays in the car.
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now
RealEstate

Post by RealEstate »

I did research whether the 3D printing route was feasible for this application, and i think its probably not the greatest idea :lol:

I was thinking something of doing something similar to what you had in mind. I have an unwanted dipstick in the shed which is a few mm too large in diameter. I could modify it down to the correct diameter and score the level markings on it at the correct position for the peugeot. I know roughly where the original dipstick sat in height to within a few mm, so I shouldn't be too far off the correct level.

If the dipstick isnt long enough I could just do as above but use the unwanted dipstick as a bung, and pop in original dipstick in the boot for when I actually need to know the oil level.

Cheers!
'98 2.1 TD Estate