2.0 16V crank but no start

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Wul
1.8 8v

2.0 16V crank but no start

Post by Wul »

I'm intending to share my experience with my D9 (which it has RFV engine if that matter).

Last Friday I was trying to start the car, but I hear something different. It seems like the cranking sound is too loose, it's as if there are no resistance during cranking (sorry I'm struggling how to describe it, but hope you understand). Prior to this, I have read that broken timing belt makes that kind of sound during cranking. I kinda panicked for a moment but then remember that the timing belt has been replaced at the dealer last year.

Since I know a mechanic who were working at local dealer and I know he's been out of job since the start of pandemic, I ask him to come by and have a look. First thing he did was checking if there's fuel coming to the injector, turns out fuel is flowing without a problem. Second, he removed the coil and spark plugs and place it outside to see if there's spark and we can see each spark plugs created sparks, so again no problem in ignition. Third, he test the compression through the spark plug hole. The results: cylinder #1 & #2 were 4 (I don't know what unit the gauge are using) and cylinder #3 & #4 were 8.

Next thing he did is open the timing belt cover. From first inspection everything seems normal. When he lined up the engine to the timing mark, it lined up well. So not a problem in timing.

He then fills about 50ml of oil to all cylinders through spark plug holes. After letting it sits for few minutes, he starts the engine again. It took a few tries with throttle fully open until it finally starts up. There's a thick smoke coming out of the exhaust, but after a while the smoke disappear and the engine keeps running normally. We tried to turn off and on again, it starts up no problem. Take it for a short drive and it feels normal.

He thinks probably it's because there are carbon buildup in the piston ring, so the ring kinda stuck to the piston instead of contacting the cylinder bore, so there's some loss of compression. By using the oil it helps to clean the carbon and provide some seal while the engine is starting up.

What do you think about this?
2001 406 D9 2.0i 16V 135 - planning to use it for at least 6 more years
1998 306 N3 1.8i 8V 103 - has been asleep for 8 years now
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: 2.0 16V crank but no start

Post by steve_earwig »

The oil helps more with raising the compression enough to fire. 4 and 8? I guess that's bar, hold on... 58 and 116psi, 58 is drastically low but I'm surprised it didn't try to run on the other 2. It's a shame he couldn't do a leak down test (pressurise the cylinders and see where it's going). It would be helpful to know what the compression is like now, I don't think gummed rings will go away on their own. Did you drive it much since then?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

Yesterday we only drive around for probably 2 km, but I do plan to drive more today. Will post update after that. Regarding leak down test isn't it required to use air compressor? As such he didn't do it in my house.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Compressor yes, it occurred to me he probably wouldn't have brought one with him. It seems strange that there wasn't a range of compression pressures, just one or the other, so my thought was maybe head gasket between 1 & 2. We'll have to see how it goes today.

Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

Today I drive around 6,5 km each trip (so around 13 km round trip). Each trip the engine starts up quickly and always from cold engine (first trip in 10 am and second trip in 8 pm). During each trip everything seems completely normal, there's no vibration, engine sounds normal (probably I should take a video or audio recording at least?), no smoke coming out from the exhaust, throttle feels responsive but I haven't tested wide open throttle or anything like that since I'm only driving within the city, and lastly there's no fluctuation in engine rpm.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

That's a relief! So maybe he was right about the rings. Was the car sitting for some time? Reading about I'm seeing all sorts of suggestions for stuff to put in the cylinders to clean up the rings, anything from vinegar, brake fluid, to all sorts of expensive bullsh!t and things that might damage your engine. No idea, if it's going ok it's probably best to leave it.

Unless anyone else has any ideas :wink:

Wul
1.8 8v

Post by Wul »

steve_earwig wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:37 pm Was the car sitting for some time?
There were times where the car sit for awhile, but in the last few months it was used regularly. Before the problem happened, the car was unused for maybe two or three days, which I think is still a reasonable time for a car to be unused.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

No, that shouldn't be a problem - I was thinking more 2 to 3 months :shock: