what ? starter motor ?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

willymuffit

what ? starter motor ?

Post by willymuffit »

HI I just wasted pension money on a new 78ah battery ! sob sob
as My 2003 406 110 HDI was not starting as it turns over very very slowly just like the battery is flat neighbour said yer battery is naff new one just come checked it fully charged but its just the same
soooo he reckons get a new starter motor I saw one online even phoned the bloke up he said its standard 12v 1.2kw BUT ! neighbour says Nah mate you need 12v 2kw ?????
please help its all blooming double dutch to me

thanks for any advise /help
regards Gerry
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: what ? starter motor ?

Post by PeterN »

Some of the later starter motors were increased in power to turn the engine more quickly improving starting. I have just fitted a new one to my C5 hdi and that was rated at 2.2kw which equates to about 2 bhp, the original one was about 1.6 kw I believe, I hasn't made a great deal of difference but it does start quicker.

The higher power starter will only give benefit if the battery is good, it could cause the voltage to drop lower than the lower powered one thus reducing its efficiency.

Modern starters have a small high speed motor and a reduction gear, the grease in this can dry up causing sluggishness, you can take the starter apart an lubricate it which usually gives an improvement.

Peter