Locking Problem

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

cwhaley
1.8 8v

Locking Problem

Post by cwhaley »

I couldn't find a specific category for locks and security, so I'm putting this here as it's mechanical.

My 'new' 406 2.0 HDI (Estate) can't currently be locked. The key fob is totally ruined (button has broken off the chip) so I can't use that, and when using the spare key (which I use to start the car) this simply spins around in the driver door key barrel. I've squirted some WD-40 in there which has loosened it all up a bit but it still doesn't lock or unlock. Not great for obvious reasons. The key doesn't look worn so I'm presuming the barrel just isn't recognising the key and is spinning as an anti-theft measure.

Any pointers on where I should go with this? I'm fairly practical and hands-on but never really dealt with locks before.

My other job is to disable the EGR -- it just seems very hesitant when pulling off. I don't like 'modding' or remapping cars but the disadvantages of having an EGR on a diesel (especially 19 years old) far outweigh the positives.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Locking Problem

Post by GingerMagic »

You can get replacement key fobs for about £5 from eBay - just check if your key case has a screw to hold the blade in.

Then all you need is a new battery and then reset the blip and it should work - PP2000 not required for this

If you angle the key so it points up, it might just get a decent enough purchase to unlock the doors - the same goes for both door locks. The spinning is indeed an anti theft measure.

Yes yes yes - disable the EGR, it's an early set up prone to getting jammed up, all you need to do is whip the pipe off the valve itself and bung the open end of the pipe you have disconnected.
Unlike most other cars, the Peugeot uses a vacuum to open and close sensors and valves, not boost.
The bonus if disabling the EGR is cleaner air going in, so cleaner air coming out. All my previous 406s ( and the wife's Picasso Hdi90, and our T4 ) had the EGR blanked with no I'll effects :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

GingerMagic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:03 pm You can get replacement key fobs for about £5 from eBay - just check if your key case has a screw to hold the blade in.

Then all you need is a new battery and then reset the blip and it should work - PP2000 not required for this
Thanks for that I didn't know they were so readily available to be honest! I've taken a look at my key fob and removed the blade. There was no screw holding it in place but it does have a narrow hole through the end, so I've ordered a replacement fob where a new blade can be inserted and screwed in.

What does resetting the 'blip' mean? Is this the procedure involving the key in the ignition? Happy to hear I don't need any software anyway as I used to live in Forscan (Ford equivalent) when owning my Focus!
GingerMagic wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:03 pm
Yes yes yes - disable the EGR, it's an early set up prone to getting jammed up, all you need to do is whip the pipe off the valve itself and bung the open end of the pipe you have disconnected.
Unlike most other cars, the Peugeot uses a vacuum to open and close sensors and valves, not boost.
The bonus if disabling the EGR is cleaner air going in, so cleaner air coming out. All my previous 406s ( and the wife's Picasso Hdi90, and our T4 ) had the EGR blanked with no I'll effects :cheesy:
Top advice cheers! :cheesy: there's so much room under the bonnet on these engines I have already found the EGR valve. They don't make sense and I've seen the amount of gunk that has accumulated even on cars much younger.

I'll remove the vacuum pipe and seal the end. Does this throw any codes?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

It never has on my cars, but some members have not been so lucky...
There may be a fault when you do a global scan on PP2K ( airflow higher than expected ) but it shouldn't light up the EML.

Remote reset is basically key in ignition, press and hold the lock button on the fob, turn ignition on, wait 10 seconds, turn ignition off, release the button.
May not work first time, can be tricky to get right.
If you still have no joy, you can resort to using PP2K but you will need a 4 digit PIN code to get access to the menu to reprogram the car to accept the key/chip/remote - this should be on your handbook, or can be obtained online for a reasonable fee.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

I'll give it a go this Sunday, thanks. Really need to spend a weekend looking more in depth and giving things a good clean/lubrication.

Thanks for the guidance on resetting the remote -- the new fob is on its way due early next week. In the meantime I have actually fixed the central locking issue. I sprayed some GT85 into the driver's side key barrel and this time left it overnight. On my dinner break today I nipped to the car and it locks perfectly! Just need the fob now so I can add the 'remote' element to the central locking.