Very Lumpy Starting 406 HDI 2.0 2004

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

panadero
2.0 16v

Very Lumpy Starting 406 HDI 2.0 2004

Post by panadero »

I am struggling to describe this problem but here goes. When cold the engine starts OK although with a slight shake which manifests itself only when I first turn the key. Underway the car drives normally. However when the engine gets to normal temperature it's a different story - turning the key to start produces a bit of a wheezing noise together with much more shake/vibration. I have had the car for 10 years so I definitely know something is wrong. Underway when hot the car again drives normally.

A garage mechanic could not diagnose the problem (i.e. without further investigation) but he did not think the clutch was the problem. I am therefore left with my own theories of a fanbelt/drive-belt or starter motor issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Very Lumpy Starting 406 HDI 2.0 2004

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi.
I'm thinking you have a worn engine mount, which explains the judder upon starting...
As for the warm start, it's hard to say exactly - could be fuel related, but I would personally check your EGR valve.

I will take a stab in the dark and say it's sticking open during the day when the engine and gases are warm, but fully closing overnight when the temperature drops.

I am no mechanical though, sorry.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
panadero
2.0 16v

Post by panadero »

Thanks for that. Worn engine mount was something that occurred to me as well but was discounted by a mechanic although I do not know why.
Is a worn mount consistent with a low mileage of only 52000 miles? The theory does sound plausible to me because it feels like something is loose or becoming loose in which case it will probably get worse - which may be no bad thing if it leads to the correct diagnosis.

I have been in this kind of situation before (with a different fault) and it has taught me to be cautious and keep an open mind on a possible cause. I am hoping it is the engine mount as that sounds relatively straight forward to rectify. Many thanks again
barbaren
1.8 16v

Post by barbaren »

panadero wrote:Thanks for that. Worn engine mount was something that occurred to me as well but was discounted by a mechanic although I do not know why.
Is a worn mount consistent with a low mileage of only 52000 miles? The theory does sound plausible to me because it feels like something is loose or becoming loose in which case it will probably get worse - which may be no bad thing if it leads to the correct diagnosis.

I have been in this kind of situation before (with a different fault) and it has taught me to be cautious and keep an open mind on a possible cause. I am hoping it is the engine mount as that sounds relatively straight forward to rectify. Many thanks again
Change the fuelfilter.
panadero
2.0 16v

Post by panadero »

According to info from the internet if the lower engine mount goes it can affect the exhaust pipe. This may explain the (exhaust type) wheezing noises on hot starting?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

True, if the mount is worn it could break the flexy part of the exhaust....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.