Third gear

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

barbaren
1.8 16v

Third gear

Post by barbaren »

Hi guys
Just changed the clutch after 399.134km on the old tractor.
Every is fine, well almost everything. It grinds when put in third from second, nothing seriuos, it just grinds a tiny bit.
I’ve bleed the clutch, no change.
I am hoping that some one out there can tell me what to do. There was nothing on the old clutch.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Third gear

Post by jasper5 »

Is your biting point near the floor?
My experience with fitting new clutches to the 406, especially the 110 diesel, has been that the biting point is very low and will move higher...when it moves higher the gear selection problem will improve...it's perfectly normal in my experience.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Seconded, although if its only in third the synchro ring is probably worn. Does it go into the other gears without baulking? If its the synchro it will probably be worse when cold, the thicker oil causes drag which can slow the box down.

Peter
barbaren
1.8 16v

Post by barbaren »

PeterN wrote:Seconded, although if its only in third the synchro ring is probably worn. Does it go into the other gears without baulking? If its the synchro it will probably be worse when cold, the thicker oil causes drag which can slow the box down.

Peter
It is only in third, all other gears are fine.
Im suspecting the slave cylinder to be worn, cause there was nothing before i changed the clutch.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

barbaren wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am
PeterN wrote:Seconded, although if its only in third the synchro ring is probably worn. Does it go into the other gears without baulking? If its the synchro it will probably be worse when cold, the thicker oil causes drag which can slow the box down.

Peter
It is only in third, all other gears are fine.
Im suspecting the slave cylinder to be worn, cause there was nothing before i changed the clutch.

As I said, it will be fine when the clutch beds in a little.
If it was the slave cylinder you would get crunching in first and reverse.
As Peter said, you probably have a worn synchro which didn't show itself with the old clutch...it will improve when the clutch beds in.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

As the rest said, worn synchro - 2nd to 3rd are the most frequent changes usually so it often see's more wear than the rest.

Having said that, what oil was the gearbox refilled with? The wrong oil can cause issues too, Pug boxes are very picky about oil.
barbaren
1.8 16v

Post by barbaren »

I will buy the fact that the gearbox is worn, it has done more miles than most cars 250.000. I can live with it just skipping third gear .
The time for a newer car is getting closer every day.
I have my eyes on a 508, really like that model.
Thx for the replies guys.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

As I said above - what oil was used when the gearbox was refitted?

The wrong oil in a Peugeot box will contaminate the synchros and show up slightly worn ones much more.
barbaren
1.8 16v

Post by barbaren »

PhillipM wrote:As I said above - what oil was used when the gearbox was refitted?

The wrong oil in a Peugeot box will contaminate the synchros and show up slightly worn ones much more.
The oil is Total Gear 8 75-80. Bought at the local Peugeot mechanic. So Hopefully Im okay there.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

Yeah, that's the right stuff.