help me plz PCV?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mohinelec

help me plz PCV?

Post by mohinelec »

hi everybody;
I have 406 HDI 110 280K ,my question is Do i have a PCV valve ,and should i check it or replace it, cause i have lots stream out when i remove oil filter cap
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: help me plz PCV?

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

1. Yes you do.
2. Fixed into rocker cover so, replace rocker cover or take it off & wash it out.
3. I take it you mean steam not stream :wink:
4. Are you sure it's not just hot oil smoke / steaming, if I remove my oil filler cap on a hot engine it smokes / steams :?
5. Is your head gasket ok? , does your header tank get pressurised / hoses go hard :?:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
mohinelec

Post by mohinelec »

thanks man i really appreciate your reply ,and yes my header is ok my engine run like clock ,but i notice some oil leaking downside on the turbo inter-cooler pipe ,so i thought that because i have PCV valve issue ,and can i check this pcv valve if it's ok without removing the cover?
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

What normally happens is,

If you have a boost leak of any description you have a loss of pressure on the turbo oil seals allowing oil to seep past
This is then blown though the inlet side of the engine.
Don't worry to much as a little will do no harm, just makes a mess as the years & miles roll by :roll:

Take mine for example, I had a leaking intercooler on the bottom where it's plastic end cap is crimped on (most do this)
This was allowing oil past the turbo oil seals due to lack of pressure & was being blown though the inlet side & out the
Leaking intercooler making a right mess.
I drove the car for 35k miles like this before replacing it when I did my overhaul of the engine & it was leaking
when I bought it :| .

You can test you P.C.V valve is clear by taking the rubber pipe of the cam cover that connects to the inlet
(after the butterfly flap).
Just pull it off, push on a suitable pipe that's at least 300mm long & 25mm i.d
Then suck & blow though it.
As long as you can suck though it it's fine
Or just start it up having removed the small pipe, rev it whilst you have your hand over the stub on the cam cover,
You should feel air being pushed out as you raise the revs.
The only problem with doing this is it'll run crap with the pipe disconnected due to the un-monitored air going in
& it might flag up a engine management light.
Don't worry once put back correctly after three or four starts it'll go out on it's own.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:

mohinelec

Post by mohinelec »

thanks man you really helped me out ,and clear all my worries,thank you again my friend ,and this forum is the best .
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

No worries,
Glad to have been able to help.
Just sharing some of the knowledge I have gained over the years alot off this forum :D