P1198 error code - Peugeot 406 HDi

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

P1198 error code - Peugeot 406 HDi

Post by AndreiNCS »

Hi guys,

In the last 2 moths one thing is happening pretty often.... when I press the acceleration pedal little harder, the car tends to stop for 1-2 seconds, then check engine light appears on the board and the car won't accelerate more than 2500 rpm in any speed gear. On the tester is show the following error code:
P1198 - Injectors control; ECU Internal Fault.
If I turn the engine off and/or eventualy unplug the + battery terminal, the check engine light dissaper and the car accelerate normaly, until the next 'aggresive accelation'.
So far this happend only in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear...

I mention that I own an 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi ( 90HP ) - RHY ( Siemens Injection ).

Do you know what it could be?
Thanks in advance!
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: P1198 error code - Peugeot 406 HDi

Post by steve_earwig »

That P1198 for a SID801 (Siemens) comes up as "Diesel high pressure monitoring. Flow regulator (VCV) at stop." I.e. not enough fuel pressure even with the flow regulator fully open, presumably this is showing up when you need more/all fuel pressure under heavy acceleration and there isn't enough. Advice seems to be to start by checking/changing the fuel filter.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

There is a fuel pressure regulator on the back of the HP pump, I had this cause problems with a C5 with a similar engine. It has a very fine filter on it and you can't even see the holes, it looks like a stainless steel tube. I have had this regulator cause: poor starting when hot, hunting and the problem you describe.

They are not to difficult to change, two screws and a plug and you can pick them up quite cheaply on ebay.

Peter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

May also be worth checking the strainer, (built into the fuel tank level sender unit). If partly clogged it may cause fuel starvation at maximum flow.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

Post by AndreiNCS »

Hi guys and thank you all for your responses,

I also have on open topic since last year with an poor cold start.... one of my suspicions were some air bubles comming from the diesel filter housing, so, to exclude this I fitted an BMW 530d fuel filter wich is encapsulated ( https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 7G3Wtm7VNM ) and I also fitted also an one sense valve, to be sure that there is no pressure loss on the diesel flow to the HP pump.
I think it could be from this, since last week I also replace the all 4 injectors and the pressure regulator on the HP pump ( in the scope of finding the cold start issue ) and still I have the error comming.
I will remove the sense valve and see what will be happening ( I guess it is not wide enough to cover the fuel flow at heavy accelerations), and eventualy, reconnect the my fuel filter circuit.

Once again, thank you all for you responses and I will come back next days with an update.
Regards!
AndreiNCS
1.8 16v

Post by AndreiNCS »

Hi guys,

As I wasn't able to find what's wrong with the car, I replace the engine (total cost around 300$) but using the old egr, injectors, diesel pump, etc.... and now the car is working just fine, it starts in no time even at -20 degrees....
So in the end I guess it was something internally in the engine, but I will never find out what.

I totally forgot to update here but recently I receive an email from Alvarii5 asking how did I solved this....

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!