Crank pulley bolt problem

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

frog
2.0 Turbo

Re: Crank pulley bolt problem

Post by frog »

steve_earwig wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:27 am Big washers and replace pins with small nuts and bolts.
I did that on the left hand side, when the pin went, about 2 years ago. It was half an hour of fiddling. The small nut is hard to keep in place behind the brake shoe while tightening the bolt.

A year later the right hand side pin decided it was time to set itself free, so i just removed it. Without putting in any new pin or screw or whatever. Still running...
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Crank pulley bolt problem

Post by Doggy »

Thank you both. I forgot to get an MOT 2 years ago, only realising when DVLA cancelled my road tax direct debit. :oops:
Got it in for MOT the next day, failed on handbrake and rear brakes/balance, so it had discs, pads h/brake shoes etc, but the pins 'couldn't be fitted' due to the state of the backplates.
(To be fair I knew the calipers were sticking, one side of the discs was rusty and I couldn't really blame the guy for not using penny washers or similar on a customer's car he'd have some degree of liability for).
Frankly I have no appetite for freezing my nuts off for several more days doing it myself outside in this weather unless there's no option. No compelling reason to do it now, but it probably won't pass the next MOT at the end of March without. Also has a noisy rear wheel bearing which will force the issue at some point, plus a rear drop link that''s put the tracking out / scrubbed the tyres - this IS urgent.
Suspect I'll also need to change the servo - brakes have never been sharp on this one, recently I've taken to pumping the pedal. :roll:
If it's still a keeper, I need to fit a towbar, but I'm dithering because I don't want to do that, then swap the car...... :?

Oh well, at least I've removed the timing belt and probably coolant loss from the list.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)