2.0. v 2.2 Hdi engines.

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

KiwipugUK
1.8 8v

Re: 2.0. v 2.2 Hdi engines.

Post by KiwipugUK »

My 2.0 110 with a 125hp map on it usually gets around 48/49mpg. I have reoccurring issues with the rear brake calipers, I can always tell its time to pull them apart again because the economy goes down to around 38-41mpg. Maybe one of your cars has dragging rear brake calipers too?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I must admit I have had that, in fact it was binding when I bought the car and it can seriously affect the consumption. I didn't realise it was binding because after a while it would unstick but the steering didn't feel right, in fact I almost went to change the steering rack. Then we went to the north of Scotland in it and noticed the hub was hot, I squirted some brake fluid in under the piston seal which in the past has always unstuck them, but not this one.

There was no sign of rust and the piston was all shiny, I reckon that it must have had a groove somewhere in the bore that was causing the problem. We got home with about a cigarette papers thickness of friction material left. I took the one off my scrap car and fitted it, complete with pads, never had a problem since.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I used to adjust the handbrake and plastilube the calipers every 6 months or so - which seemed to keep me on top of it.
Only takes about an hour to do.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.