Gear lever failed

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Gear lever failed

Post by FarmerPug »

I have spent the past couple of days installing and wiring up a towbar in my 2.2 hdi estate, all was going well and i wanted to drive the car down to a trailer to test all worked. When driving it the gear lever suddenly felt as if something broke and it now seems to be stuck in 1st gear. The cables at the gearbox end seem to be all attached, but it feels like something in the box under the gearstick has failed, has anyone ever had to work on these?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Gear lever failed

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh bugger :( Afraid the only failure I seem to remember was a cable popping off the actuator outside the gearbox.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

I changed one on a 307 years ago. It had a similar problem, bought a lever + cables assembly from an internet scrappy.
It was a proper PITA to swap the gearlever end, but the gearbox was simple after taking out the battery/box. There was a huge grommet thingy carrying all 3 cables through the bulkhead that was murder to press back in.
I'd suggest getting clear access to the 'box end and making certain you have a cable that's not moving,
one does the left/right movement of the stick, one the front/rear movement, the third is the reverse inhibit worked by the lift-ring round the stick
Looks like a pain to get the lever assy out, (never done it, but I think you'll have to remove at least the DPF & heat shield, possibly the CAT too as the 406 version mostly lives under the car).

Never tried to find out what went wrong at the lever end, maybe should have, (if accessible).

We hired a Fiat Ducato-based campervan last year, that wound up stuck in 5th on a French dual carriageway. That beast had a dash mounted gearlever, managed to prise off the gaiter and push the errant cable back onto its control lever. Unfortunately the Pug version looks like sealed box.

Best of luck.....
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Problem Solved;
While the cables were connected to the gear linkages on the box there is a bit further back a bracket that the cables presumably push against. This popped out, i think a clip held it in place, a couple of cable ties sorted it.

Was a good excuse to get the yoke back on the lift to do the air doser bypass and other such 2.2 necessities.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Good result there 8)
FarmerPug wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:13 pm Was a good excuse to get the yoke back on the lift to do the air doser bypass and other such 2.2 necessities.
:supafrisk:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Apparently the gear selector shizzle is one of the first things to be assembled at the factory so no wonder they're a pain to work on later.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work