camshaft pulley adjustment

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

camshaft pulley adjustment

Post by PeterN »

I changed the belt on my wife's car last year and it doesn't seem to go so well. There is an adjustment on the camshaft pulley which you are only told 'should be fully anticlockwise' mine though is fully clockwise, could this be causing a problem?

I used my car today on a trip to Bristol and back and the performance was noticeably better and the fuel consumption a little. I have done a leak off test on the injectors and they are all pretty well the same, I was going to fit a set out of a known good engine but wondered if the problem could be cam shaft timing. Both 2.0. 110 hp.

I have changed a number of these belts and not had any trouble before.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: camshaft pulley adjustment

Post by jasper5 »

You mean the 3 bolts and the slots?
These bolts are for the tension adjustment.
What you should do is lock the crank through the hole under the starter motor and lock the cam through the hole/holes in the camshaft and cylinder head.

Before fitting the new belt you should undo the 3 bolts holding the cam pulley and turn the cam pulley all the way to the right and then fit the belt.
Turn the tensioner onto the belt and, using the square hole, turn the tensioner onto the belt and watch the slots where the 3 bolts are...they should move the bolts to the middle of the slots but never over the whole way to the other side of the slots...hold tension on the belt until the tensioner pulley can just about be turned without the belt moving then lock it up.
Tighten the 3 camshaft bolts and remove the locking pins.
Turn the engine by hand 2 full turns and check that the timing pins fit into the cam hole and crank hole.
If the pins fit correctly remove them and check that the tensioner pulley is still just about able to turn...if it does then the tension is set...if the tensioner pulley can't be turned at all it's too tight and if you can turn the tensioner pulley easily then it's too slack.
If all is well with tension and the bolts in the slots are NOT all the way over to one side then job done.

If you are unsure about the timing then start from scratch and reset it.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: camshaft pulley adjustment

Post by PeterN »

OK thanks, I think I did that but the bolts ended up at the fully clockwise end, it says in the manual that it shouldn't be fully anti clockwise. I will lock the crankshaft and see if the timing pin goes in - if not more work.

Peter