loss of power .

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

warlock
1.8 8v

loss of power .

Post by warlock »

hi ya folks .sorry long time no appearance but had change of job got divorce all the normal stuff Any way happy xmas to all .. :roll: ..
now for my problem I have had the car almost 4 years now and have managed to solve most issues .all except one the loss of power on hills or just over taking sometimes have to give up and drop back .the turbo doesn't come in till3000 rpm and to get it to pull I have to keep it in a lower gear .really annoying when I do get up to speed as soon as I hit a hill she just drops off ..have by passed the EV switch and that made no difference ..it is a 20 hdi 110 ..2001 plate have cleaned the MAF replaced the map sensor .and service is upto date ..just cant seem to solve the power issue .any ideas would be great ..cheers :?
tonko007
1.8 16v

Re: loss of power .

Post by tonko007 »

Hi maybe the throttle position sensor or has yours got a dpf may just need an Italian tune up
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It shouldn't do, but you never know.

I think I'd be trying to find a way of looking at the live date while this is going on, do you have any access to any form of diagnostics that could give you that?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
deanthedude1977
1.8 16v

Post by deanthedude1977 »

hi

My 03 plate 110 2.0hdi has been doing the same.
I too cleaned the maf sensor, even unplugged it as some have suggested and it made no difference.
As you said more noticeable going up hill also I noticed more in 4th, anyway yesterday I took off the air doser as was full of oil and gave it a good clean whilst I was there I noticed the throttle cable had lots of play in it...
Pretty obvious how to adjust, pull up the slack and put clip back in place--it seems fingers crossed to of solved my problem....as I cleaned air doser and adjusted cable I'm not sure which solved it but worth looking at both...
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

That'll be the cable then - if you can't use full cable travel then no matter how hard you plant your foot, the cable isn't tight enough to give more than half throttle......

Its always the first thing I check on 406 diagnostics - don't make the cable too tight or the car gets funny rev patterns :roll:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

warlock wrote:hi ya folks .sorry long time no appearance but had change of job got divorce all the normal stuff Any way happy xmas to all .. :roll: ..
now for my problem I have had the car almost 4 years now and have managed to solve most issues .all except one the loss of power on hills or just over taking sometimes have to give up and drop back .the turbo doesn't come in till3000 rpm and to get it to pull I have to keep it in a lower gear .really annoying when I do get up to speed as soon as I hit a hill she just drops off ..have by passed the EV switch and that made no difference ..it is a 20 hdi 110 ..2001 plate have cleaned the MAF replaced the map sensor .and service is upto date ..just cant seem to solve the power issue .any ideas would be great ..cheers :?
Were about's are you, there's loads of stuff that it could be, I'd be happy to help, pp2k & I know a fair bit about these :roll:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

Hi all and thankx for all the feedback ..never heard of an Italian tune up ( just divorced one maybe that was the problem ) serious though I have got pp2000 and access to most tools the only thing that the diagnostic picks up is low turbo pressure .that's why I changed the map sensor ..and cleaned the maf ..not tried the cable bit yet so ill give that a go before I leave for work today and see if that makes any difference .I also get the .msg engine emission fault and the light comes on but that clears again after a couple of days .Have also noticed the lack of power mid range so maybe the cable is the answer I will let you know ..once again thanks for the advise . :D
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

morning peeps ..well tried the cable adjustment only had a bout 1/2 inch of slack but before it started to activate throttle but I adjusted it any way ..and it does appear to have improvd the performance ..not sure how much as yet but going to clean the air doser at weekend and see ...will keep posted ..
deanthedude1977
1.8 16v

Post by deanthedude1977 »

UPDATE....

Mine was better after taking up slack on throttle cable but still didn't seem right.
After reading many posts on here suggesting MAF sensor I decided id get one and give it a try--nothing ventured n all that..

Anyway, , WOW what a difference--ive had car few years now and never known it go so well..
Part was 26 quid off ebay brand new --I'm sure ill regret getting cheap one if it fails again but hey ho...

Quick note to GINGERMAGIC--I see you have pp2000--if I get any more probs and cross your palm with some silver are you able to assist??-I'm only in Southampton so only up the road and wouldn't take me long to get to you.

Anyway guys thought id post an update in case it helps others..
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Yes, no problem - just drop me a PM when you need some help and I'll see if I'm free.

Warlock - the low turbo pressure means the MAP sensor is reading less pressure than the ECU thinks it should have, maybe check for boost leaks ( black oily residue noticeably ) on the boost pipes above and below the intercooler, and also the bottom of the intercooler too, maybe you will see some bubbles when you apply boost.

Have you blanked your EGR? Maybe its stuck open and giving false readings... :?:
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

deanthedude1977 wrote:UPDATE....

Mine was better after taking up slack on throttle cable but still didn't seem right.
After reading many posts on here suggesting MAF sensor I decided id get one and give it a try--nothing ventured n all that..

Anyway, , WOW what a difference--ive had car few years now and never known it go so well..
Part was 26 quid off ebay brand new --I'm sure ill regret getting cheap one if it fails again but hey ho...

Quick note to GINGERMAGIC--I see you have pp2000--if I get any more probs and cross your palm with some silver are you able to assist??-I'm only in Southampton so only up the road and wouldn't take me long to get to you.

Anyway guys thought id post an update in case it helps others..
What a lot of people forget or misunderstand is that MAF sensors degrade slowly over time, if you're car's done over 100k
you will definitely feel an improvement by replacing it :)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

hi have just started to check over car as its a nice day removed the cover and pipe work to get to doser and thought id run car up to see if anything obvious ..if I rev her and put hand over intercooler outlet I get bubbles at bottom ..im assuming the intercooler is shot and this could be my problem ????
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Depends on how serious the leak is. Most intercoolers or their hose connections seem to leak a little, but if your turbo can still achieve target pressure without noticeable delay it probably won't make any difference. Bear I mind the turbo can produce more boost than needed at most engine speeds and the ecu is dumping the excess pressure anyway.

Mine has a minor leak too - I noticed bubbles in the liquid spilled around the bottom when changing the antifreeze, but it still goes really well. If the hose between the intercooler and inlet manifold gets pressurised quickly when you blip the throttle, the leak is unlikely to be our problem.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
warlock
1.8 8v

Post by warlock »

OK Doggy thankx for that ive just run the pp2000 on it and I have 3 faults recorded.
Permanent fault Air flowmeter signal .open circuit or short to earth flow to low .
permanent fault pre/post relay heating relay circuit .relay stuck .. (this is a new relay and I believe its a generic fault on all 406s)
intermittent fault .turbo pressure ...turbo pressure measured too low.
if what you say about the slight leak then my other option maybe to replace the MAF ...
I also tested the air doser by sucking on the hose and the flap closed without too much effort ..
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Is your MAF still unplugged? This would explain the airflow permanent fault - if it has been unplugged but plugged back in with ignition on then you would have an intermittent fault.

I have a couple of 110 MAFs knocking around which you can have for postage charge, just to eliminate the fault before spending out on a new one.

The post/relay is common, nothing to worry about on a 406.

The turbo one is also intermittent, so it will clear on its own - but if it comes back then you can see how it was caused by pressing F6 in PP2000.