Hdi'm Confused...

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

scotty73
3.0 24v

Re: Hdi'm Confused...

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:
scotty73 wrote: this has only happened since i blanked my EGR.... There is a warm pipe going in the EGR direction too that we've all overlooked when dicking about with it.
Oo-err, it kinda makes sense that you blank it off, eggsauce pressure rises on the 'blank' side and forces its way into the coolant.

If I'm right here you owe me a virtual beer my son :cheesy:
You can have ten if that's the case :mrgreen: .... Reason for blanking was for better MPG which never changed so a bit pointless.... What to do now though is the question? remove the blanking plate and check for bubbles or do i replace the egr or even remove it?
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Just remove the blanking plate, this will reduce the gas pressure and see what happens. Of course you may have breached one of the waterways in the heat exchanger of the EGR so it may need changing anyway.

Weird thing though that the sniffer still didn't detect combustion in the water :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:
Weird thing though that the sniffer still didn't detect combustion in the water :?
Yes I find that bit very strange too that's why i wanted to see it done myself... I was starting to question if the first one had even been done.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Removed the EGR blank and drove for 8 miles ish... Not half as much pressure but loads of black smoke and no go in her... Not sure if reverting back to the original map will rectify this?

Welly

Post by Welly »

Original map? you never said? well I guess it'd be better put right back to standard and then see what goes. You've made good progress so far though.
Cars in my care:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Welly wrote:Original map? you never said? well I guess it'd be better put right back to standard and then see what goes. You've made good progress so far though.
Yeah I blanked it to save fuel but doing that puts the EML on so had the map altered to EGR delete.... That was November 1st... I first noticed the low coolant and pressurising the weekend after.... Might be coincidence but after removing the blank i done the school run and normally the pipes feel fit to burst and the cap is letting out air... Today there wasn't enough pressure to bring the cap into play.

Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

If it happened when you added the EGR blank then it would make sense to be the EGR cooler. There's been a few failed on the 1.8TDCi I have in my Mondeo and they give them same symptoms has a head gasket failure.
It come have gotten damaged inside when you fitted the EGR blank somehow.
I'd see if you can get one from a scrappy or on ebay. I can't imagine it being more than £20?

I'm it's clearly HG or EGR cooler failure so the fact that a sniff test doesn't bring anything up is very surprising!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

You been on the piss today Sam? :lol:
I had to put the blank back in today because when I went out for a short drive early this morning I saw 4 cop cars I'm very surprised one of them didn't pull me with all the black smoke and not getting anywhere :cheesy:

Off over my mates tomorrow where I will remove the blank again and put the original map back on the car and monitor it for a few days... £20 is about right for one on Ebay bud.

Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Teach me to type without looking! :lol:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Bailes1992 wrote:Teach me to type without looking! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Guess what i just ordered?
Give you a clue it's green and sits just below the thermostat housing. :wink:

stuartkeith
1.8 8v

Post by stuartkeith »

What's the outcome?
2002 2.0l HDI 90BHP 406 Estate.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

stuartkeith wrote:What's the outcome?
Thought this thread had died of death but i just popped on to give an update and here you are....

Well I bit the bullet and bought a reco head plus all the bits.. Waited over a week for my normal mechanic who yesterday confessed he didn't fancy doing such a big job outside my house.

So I went to a garage for a quote this morning and was told over £600 in labour... 13.5 hours of work... I was just about to message Jasper on Facebook about this and if there's any truth about it.

Fire away John :lol: Time to trade in i think. :|

Welly

Post by Welly »

Easy to say sat behind a keyboard but have you thought about fitting the head yourself? I think if you were able to spend the time and work carefully it would be mega satisfying.

Don't get me wrong I've never even tackled a Cambelt through lack of tools and experience but there is nothing on a car that isn't doable with care, research, the right tools and reasonable access.
Cars in my care:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Not something I'd try to be honest.. only got basic tools and less than basic knowledge. :lol: