Old is best!

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

rupesmcd
1.8 8v

Old is best!

Post by rupesmcd »

Just wanted to give the wife's car some public love- it's a 1988 Pug 205 1.4 petrol (TU). We've had it 6 months now, it's only done 44k.
At the start of this month it passed its MOT first time. Nothing wrong :P then yesterday it wouldn't start after all the rain- thought the cap or leads might be wet, and that I'd have to take it all off and spray it out etc- but turned out it was just the coil lead had popped off the ignition coil! :lol:
Easiest fix in history.
Love old cars.
2003 Peugeot 406 SE Estate 2.2HDi De-fapped and re-mapped
1988 Peugeot 205 GR 1.4 petrol, smells right.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Old is best!

Post by GingerMagic »

Its a far cry from the electronic gubbins that modern cars rely on... :(
44,000 miles is barely an infant in the car world, it sounds like a good find.
Its nice to have an easy fix - regardless of a cars age.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
pugobsession
1.6 8v

Post by pugobsession »

Yeah. Old cars, especially pugs are an easy fix. No wonder I won't part with my 505 sedan
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

rupesmcd wrote:Just wanted to give the wife's car some public love- it's a 1988 Pug 205 1.4 petrol (TU). We've had it 6 months now, it's only done 44k.
At the start of this month it passed its MOT first time. Nothing wrong :P then yesterday it wouldn't start after all the rain- thought the cap or leads might be wet, and that I'd have to take it all off and spray it out etc- but turned out it was just the coil lead had popped off the ignition coil! :lol:
Easiest fix in history.
Love old cars.
Yes, a while back I paid £125 for a 1988 Austin Maestro. (the Mayfair model, got to have some luxuries).
8 months MOT. Some tax.
Did thousands of miles in that 8 months, and the only thing that went wrong was
the nut attaching cable to starter motor worked itself loose.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

There's actually somewhat of a renewed interest in 80's/90's motors for this very reason. Some people are getting fed up with visiting expensive dealers to get the electronic handbrake re-calibrated or whatever.

Cars that can be mended at the roadside with a hammer and some gaffer tape are quite attractive in comparison.

I've got a soft spot for H-reg Merc 190 E's at the moment. The other thing people miss is the 'connection' you get with old motors; the sounds, the vibrations, smells....something modern motors lack.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Welly wrote:There's actually somewhat of a renewed interest in 80's/90's motors for this very reason. Some people are getting fed up with visiting expensive dealers to get the electronic handbrake re-calibrated or whatever.

Cars that can be mended at the roadside with a hammer and some gaffer tape are quite attractive in comparison.

I've got a soft spot for H-reg Merc 190 E's at the moment. The other thing people miss is the 'connection' you get with old motors; the sounds, the vibrations, smells....something modern motors lack.

As an "old school" mechanic myself I feel the same for the older stuff...none of this electronic nonsense!

One of my sons came up from Birmingham today with his engine light on...did a code read and came up with....dpf differential sensor voltage low...wtf am I going to about that? Car is a 2011 VW Golf GT TDi 2.0

I've been asked to service a newish Sprinter van...the service light sounds like solving a Sherlock Holmes mystery just to turn it off :shock:

Those old 190 Mercs were a real shed...I would avoid one of those if I were you!
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

Welly wrote:There's actually somewhat of a renewed interest in 80's/90's motors for this very reason. Some people are getting fed up with visiting expensive dealers to get the electronic handbrake re-calibrated or whatever.

Totally agree I miss my lj70 cruiser even my surf and pajero to a lesser extent. I've started doing avionics at work and dang there's so many places the squiggly amps can escape and f@#! everything.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hold on a minute - dang? :shock: Gee wizz mister :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Post by OllieNZ »

steve_earwig wrote:Hold on a minute - dang? :shock: Gee wizz mister :supafrisk:
I blame it on having lived in texas ;)
pugobsession
1.6 8v

Post by pugobsession »

As an old school petrolhead myself lam just smitten by the smell of my good old 2 liter 8 valve motor on my 505 pug sedan.
rupesmcd
1.8 8v

Post by rupesmcd »

pugobsession wrote:As an old school petrolhead myself lam just smitten by the smell of my good old 2 liter 8 valve motor on my 505 pug sedan.
thats exactly the thing about the 205- when we bought it, the wife said 'ah, yes, that's a great car- it smells right!'
I borrow it once a week to gee it a bit of a run, it's very cool. I've always liked older stuff- particularly pugs as they don't rust.
2003 Peugeot 406 SE Estate 2.2HDi De-fapped and re-mapped
1988 Peugeot 205 GR 1.4 petrol, smells right.
pugobsession
1.6 8v

Post by pugobsession »

pugobsession
1.6 8v

Post by pugobsession »

The pug above was rusted a bit under the belly but some good old panel beating work took care of that.. Meantime, lam trying to tweak the engine in order to get some go to match the show.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I ran Citroen XMs for 15 years or more, in fact I still have one, for that very reason - simplicity. Maybe not the suspension although that's only basic hydraulics but because the engine was purely mechanical, no electronics unless you count the stop solenoid, and yet they were the smoothest and most economical IDI engine ever made in my opinion and they go on forever, I had two with around 300,000 miles on them.

The manual 2.1 diesel would do 50mpg + on a long journey and was smoother than the Hdi replacements, they would pull without vibration from tickover, the Hdi good as they are will vibrate below 1500rpm.

Apart from the fuel solenoid you could run them without a battery if necessary and you could always take the plunger out if you had no power.

Peter
pugobsession
1.6 8v

Post by pugobsession »

Cool