HDi 110 - Valeo solid flywheel conversion

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

rossd
1.6 8v

HDi 110 - Valeo solid flywheel conversion

Post by rossd »

Hey chaps and chapesses...

Long time member just recently back into 406 ownership! I bought a 2003 HDi 110 Estate back in June, in 'S' level trim. Very nice condition, 70k miles and FSH. The only thing was a squeak from the flywheel \ clutch area when engaging the clutch or pulling away and a "buzzy" vibration at about 2000rpm.

Took the plunge and decided to go for the Valeo solid flywheel conversion, which I fitted myself at the weekend. Not quite the horror of a job I first thought it'd be - Started at 9am and finished about 6pm! Dropped one side of the subframe to allow the gearbox to be dropped out, unbolted the old DMF and clutch assembly and replaced with the solid flywheel and bespoke friction plate and pressure plate.

The result? Well to me its no different to the DMF. The buzzy vibration at 2k rpm has gone, but its smooth and nice to use. Clutch pedal now a lot lighter too! Don't believe the horror stories that you read - I'm sure they are put out there by the DMF manufacturers to discourage SMF conversionb and maximise DMF sales :cheesy:

The old DMF was rogered - you could move it to the limits of its movement with finger pressure - To be honest I'm surprised the vibrations and noise were not a lot worse!

To summarise - It's definatly worth doing if your DMF is on the way out or you need a new clutch.
I've got some pics if anyones interested....
2003 406 S HDi 110 Estate
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: HDi 110 - Valeo solid flywheel conversion

Post by Welly »

Definitely post some pics up of whatever you've got as it's always helpful in the future.

I'm glad it went well and the result was as good as you say. Many Diesel drivers plod around at just over tick-over speeds but this puts a lot of stress on the DMF.

Maybe a remap is in order with your new clutch? :P
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
rossd
1.6 8v

Post by rossd »

Yes a remap is the next inline - I'm able to write that and install it myself so no cost involved there :cheesy:
I'll post some pictures up later on when I get home. They are not the best quality, but maybe useful non the less.
peteling

Post by peteling »

Hi
I am new to the site so please forgive me if I ask silly questions, I have a 406 y plate 110 BHP and the clutch has just gone I have taken out the gearbox and the release bearing has broken up. I am using the car to put a trailer whilst I do a house extension but after that has finished I will probably change the car as it is a work horse and not the best body work so I am looking at the cheapest way to fix my problem. and in doing some research I was wondering if I could get a solid flywheel from the breakers and then by a clutch kit or does it have to be a complete conversion kit? I can get a solid flywheel for about £25 from breakers and a clutch kit for about £70 on ebay but not sure if this will work as my clutch is a pull type. I have also seen during my research that some people say you should not tow with the dual mass flywheel (my car has no done 170,000 and I have had it for 5 years and pulled some big loads with it?) I have also seen it said that some crank shafts cant stand the vibration caused by fitting a solid fly wheel.
Any comments / advise on the above would we very appreciated.
Peter
rossd
1.6 8v

Post by rossd »

You cant just put any old flywheel on or any old clutch!!! :cheesy:

The Valeo conversion kit contains a flywheel and clutch that fits the engine / gearbox combination and also has the 60-2 teeth for the engine speed sensor.

I've run with the solid flywheel now for over 35k miles and all is still fine. No vibrations at all - Its essentially gone back to how clutches used to be before DMF's came along and we didn't complain about vibrations shaking our fillings out then did we :P
bangernom1cs
2.0 16v

Post by bangernom1cs »

Ive run a solid flywheel conversion for the last 170,00 miles. fitted at 225k.
I understand that it uses the clutch from the 90hp
However the clutch bearing itself failed atabout 130k in and as its a taxi its not too bad.Still using the pressure plate and clutch disc as fitted.
Still nice and smooth. DMF was a pain. Conversion made no noticeable difference in smootness or driveability.
Bearings are available on their own from LUK.
T
steven123
1.8 16v

Post by steven123 »

rossd wrote:Hey chaps and chapesses...

Long time member just recently back into 406 ownership! I bought a 2003 HDi 110 Estate back in June, in 'S' level trim. Very nice condition, 70k miles and FSH. The only thing was a squeak from the flywheel \ clutch area when engaging the clutch or pulling away and a "buzzy" vibration at about 2000rpm.

Took the plunge and decided to go for the Valeo solid flywheel conversion, which I fitted myself at the weekend. Not quite the horror of a job I first thought it'd be - Started at 9am and finished about 6pm! Dropped one side of the subframe to allow the gearbox to be dropped out, unbolted the old DMF and clutch assembly and replaced with the solid flywheel and bespoke friction plate and pressure plate.

The result? Well to me its no different to the DMF. The buzzy vibration at 2k rpm has gone, but its smooth and nice to use. Clutch pedal now a lot lighter too! Don't believe the horror stories that you read - I'm sure they are put out there by the DMF manufacturers to discourage SMF conversionb and maximise DMF sales :cheesy:

The old DMF was rogered - you could move it to the limits of its movement with finger pressure - To be honest I'm surprised the vibrations and noise were not a lot worse!

To summarise - It's definatly worth doing if your DMF is on the way out or you need a new clutch.
I've got some pics if anyones interested....
+ 1 have it on 2.2hdi saloon and no real comfort difference compared to dmf, and im no longer worried when its handling 435nm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
2004/53 hdi saloon 181bhp 435nm with 6speed
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Interesting posts. I have two 2.0. Hdi's one in a 406 and the other in a C5, they have both done around 200k miles but as far as I know still have the original clutches and DMFs. I notice they both have a vibration around 1500 rpm if you are pulling hard and I am wondering if this is a fault or a characteristic.

For the last 15 years or more I have been running XM 2.1td's and they are so refined compared to the hdi, they will pull smoothly from tickover in fact you rarely have to change gear unless you are in a hurry. The Hdi feels as though the flywheel is to light, they are fine over about 1800 rpm but feel very rough at low speeds compared with the XM.

Does anyone else notice this low speed vibration and if so did fitting a solid flywheel make any difference?

Peter