Engine faults P0510 and P0230?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt
2.0 16v

Engine faults P0510 and P0230?

Post by Matt »

I was cruising back on a decent length trip to wales today at 60mph on the cruise control, floored the throttle to overtake van and i got some acceleration followed by a complete lack of response from the accelerator and dying revs until i came to a complete stop on the hard shoulder, I switched the ignition off then started again and it was running fine but the engine light was on, i wasnt in limp home mode or anything like that, i honestly thought i was gonna need a tow home the way the engine tailed off

Anyway, I got back home and i did a scan off the car and it came back with P0510 and P0230, Closed Throttle Position Switch Malfunction and Fuel Pump Primary Circuit Malfunction, these two must be connected, what do they mean in real terms and what should i be looking at to fix this?

my engine was running sweet on the way there which was about 200 miles, then it did this on the return leg
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 21, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 2.0 HDI Estate GTX 90 bhp
craigtd
2.0 16v

Re: Engine faults?

Post by craigtd »

could be the fuel pump breaking down,giving that you put your foot down then there was nothing or the throtle position sensor breaking down,i would clear the codes and see if it puts a code back on then you may get a better idear of whats going on with it mate.
Matt
2.0 16v

Re: Engine faults?

Post by Matt »

Cheers matey, I Cleared the codes and took it out for a run, it put them back on again, also the engine is running on after I switch the ignition off, is this looking like a fuel pump issue?
2000 2.0 HDI Estate GTX 90 bhp