FAP problems..

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

vonEnoch
1.8 8v

FAP problems..

Post by vonEnoch »

Hello everyone here :)

Im new to this forum as im new to Peugeot. With risk of "swearing in church" im more of a BMW type (Have had some different versions). Have always been very anti to cars from france. But with age comes wisdom or is it madnss and i finally decided to give them a try. So now i sit with a -03 406 2.2 Hdi. Well.. can say its NOT a BMW but.... a big but! The car has some sort of charm that the perfectionism in BMW lacks so i have been "stuck with this car for almost a year now and intend to keep it for a while more if i get the "small" problems with it fixed.

When it got colder this winter (live in northern Sweden) some for me odd fault appared. The car began to warn about antipollution fault and went into safe mode. Solution i have had for this during winter is to stop, turn of ignitionk, wait a minute or two and then start. Yes it continues to warn but isnt anymore in safemode for an hour or so. Have searched for solution and ended up reading some posts here, so i decided to join and ask for advice from wise people here.

Of what i have read i have to come to understand that its not too difficult and not too expensive to fix the problem. If i have understod everything correct i should get myself PP2000 and lexia 3 (found some chineese seller on ebay for a reasonable price. Then i should get myself Galletto 1260 and a defap to reprogram the box with? And i should also afterwards take down the filter and smash out the cheramic from it and put it back? Correct?

Well.. i would love to do that defap and to my surprise i found here some talking about a 180hp defap file! Now my interest really grew :) I would really love to have 180 hp in my PeggySue :). Got a bit spoiled with bimmers i have had :)

So what i really would like to know if i have got the procedure right and to know how and where to get that 180hp defap file.

All advice, suggestions and solutions are very welcome

Ps.. really not so bad car this PeggySue :) ... very charming lady actually with her own will :D
benczuk
3.0 24v

Re: FAP problems..

Post by benczuk »

Well done for actually researching it before posting, more than a lot of others do!

That's the general gist of it. You only need the PP2000 to clear the fault codes, the Galleto is all you need to de-fap and remap. If you know of a friendly garage who will clear the codes after you have flashed the ECU that will save you some cash. Though once you have a PP2000 its amazing how often you find yourself needing it, and it makes diagnosing future issues a lot easier.

I have sent you a PM with my email address. If you send me an email to that address I will reply with the standard and 180 de-faped ecu files. make sure you read and save your current map before you flash it though just in case anything should go wrong.

Ben

(Sorry if i have stepped to far on your toes Doggy)
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Knowing a little bit about Swedish motoring in general, will you have a problem when your vehicle is inspected each year? we call this test the 'MOT' I don't know what you call it but they would check the emissions from your exhaust. I think in Sweden it is very strict.

As far as I know de-fapping the 2.2 in England makes very little difference to the emissions testing but you might have a problem with it?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi & welcome to the forum. 8)

I would recommend removing the FAP, but agree it would be sensible to check the emissions testing requirements in Sweden, as welly suggests.

In the UK, (and every country we know of), the FAP or DPF was only fitted to 2.2 HDi 406's. It was never fitted to 2.0 HDi 90's and while there are references to FAP in connection with the 2.0 HDi 110, no-one has ever seen one. The point of all this is that you can probably discover easily if the emissions test is the same for any diesel 406, (as in the UK), if so, removing the FAP will not make your car fail the test.
benczuk wrote:(Sorry if i have stepped to far on your toes Doggy)

Not at all, Ben.

Please be aware that I have come across at least one 2003 2.2 HDi which was not campatible with the 'generic' 180 bhp file. If this turns out to be the case here, the only option currently is to convert vonEnoch's original file to no-FAP. That way it's gauranteed to work, but will not generate more power.

If you want me to convert the original for you, just let me know.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
vonEnoch
1.8 8v

Post by vonEnoch »

Very much thanks for the fast reply! :)
Yes, in Sweden the tests are quite strict but i think it will pass even if i defap PeggySue, quite sure of it. If it wont... well thats then that days problem. And yes, will save the original file in couple of locations, just to be sure i wont loose it. Send you a pm with my mailadress. And again, me and PeggySue thank you very much, "she" would love to get som Redbull under the hood :)
vonEnoch
1.8 8v

Post by vonEnoch »

Ah.. just saw.. YOU sent me a pm :). I sent you a mail!
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Email sent. I included the information on how to de-fap your original file should you find it doesn't work with the 180bhp map as Doggy mentions above.

Ben
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
vonEnoch
1.8 8v

Post by vonEnoch »

Update.
Got the Galletto from UK today (fast delivery must say) and ofcourse i couldnt wait... or i did actually, had to make dinner first but after that, take the puter with xp on and puter with guide opened on with me to the car. I did consider for a second or two to use the fap file only but that thought lost big to the 180hp under the hood idea :).
Well, to make it short i saved original file and flashed the 180hp defap file instead. Car started nicely and went on a short drive. Now, we still have winter here and most roads are snowy and icy, but could tell immidietly that something positive had happened under the hood. Found a bit of bare road and could test better and must say its a NEW car :). Responds much faster to throttle and yes, its alot more powerful now. (wont miss my bmw´s so much anymore).
So after just short tests i can say PeggySue has become a CAR instead of a vehicle.

Now during weekend i will take down the fap, but i think i will not destroy it yet. I will make a piece that fits there instead just in case if it wont pass these rigid swedish exhaustrules in test. In that case i can put the fap back and original file just for test and then remove them again afterwards.

So.. a big.. very big thanks for the help Ben!! :)
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Well done! Does make a difference, doesn't it? :twisted:

I think you will have trouble making a replacement pipe for the FAP, because of its shape.

As I suggested earlier, check if the emissions test is the same for all diesel 406's in Sweden, (I will be amazed if it's not). If it is the same, you can remove the FAP without problems, as this will just make it the same as other 406's in terms of particulates. (It will never be the same in terms of fun). :wink:
vonEnoch
1.8 8v

Post by vonEnoch »

Ah..well.. i will take the filter down and bash it empty. Too much job to begin make a replacement pipe i think. I think it will pass emission anyways without it because i think harder rules applies on cars from 2005 or so. And yes, as i said the french vehicle became a car with that 180hp file :). That i like alot! ;)
Hmm..... Know anything about 607 2.7 hdi? Good cars or? Found one at nice price and got interested.. more engine ;) And apparently you can get out around 240-250hp from them without too much fuss.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Engines are solid but be wary of electrical issues on the 607. I've heard there is no end of them....
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
vonEnoch
1.8 8v

Post by vonEnoch »

Ok.. what about 407 2.7 Hdi? I think i will skip 607.. read also a bit too much bad things about them.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hello, just thought I would jump on the Galleto bandwagon, is it really that easy to remap an Ecu?? Why do some people advertise they can remap your car for £300 when the tool to do it yourself is only £20...!!
I only have an Hdi 90 siemens, so if someone as a remap file for one of these to give it a bit more oomph - I am definately interested. I can't afford to replace with a 180bhp 2.2, although I would love one :(
Last question, do I need to borrow a laptop to do the remap or can I just get the info onto the Galleto then bring it indoors to plug into puter, technology isn't my thing really - can't beat a spanner and some WD40.....
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this Forum, has helped me alot.
Kelv.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Remap files for a Siemens HDi 90 are mighty rare. I suggest you make sure you can get one before getting the Galletto.

You don't have to have a laptop, but the Galletto needs to be connected to both computer & car at the same time, so it's much easier.

If you add your location someone nearby, with all the kit, may offer to help.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Doggy wrote:Remap files for a Siemens HDi 90 are mighty rare. I suggest you make sure you can get one before getting the Galletto.

You don't have to have a laptop, but the Galletto needs to be connected to both computer & car at the same time, so it's much easier.

If you add your location someone nearby, with all the kit, may offer to help.
What bhp can be got from a 110hdi then?
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.