Low idle speed

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

srdan
1.8 8v

Low idle speed

Post by srdan »

Hello there,

I have a little problem with low idle speed.
It is around 725 rpm. Engine runs quite good, but it would run better if it would idle at 825.
I have checked info in the auto data, and it says it has to be around 825 not less...

While engine is cold, the idle is OK, just when it gets warm it drops to 725.

The car is de-fapped, the turbo charger is new, air filter - new, and all other filters, and the car is remapped.
No problems with engine at all.

If could get an info which map do I have to find in ecu bin file (winols) and to change the idle map.
Or there could be some problem whit some sensors, or there is another trick with setting the idle...

I have feeling that turbo is spinning little bit faster at idle because of no fap - no resistance,
than ecu adjusts the idle to lower values?

engine: 4hx (edc15c2) 2.2 HDI (year 2002)

best regards
PEUGEOT 406 2.2 HDI
- DE-FAPPED
- EGR OFF
- IDLE SPEED OPTIMIZED (835 RPM)
- PRO TUNED
- LOOKING FOR 6 GEAR ML6C (CITROEN C5 2.2 HDI YEAR 2001-2003) TRANSMISSION ...
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Re: Low idle speed

Post by OdinEidolon »

Bah, my 2.2 idles around 700rpms as well. It bouces up to ~800rpms if I activate the AC.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
srdan
1.8 8v

Post by srdan »

than we have the same problem, unless this is normal behaviour :)
PEUGEOT 406 2.2 HDI
- DE-FAPPED
- EGR OFF
- PRO TUNED
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

srdan wrote:than we have the same problem, unless this is normal behaviour :)
I think it's normal, but doggy and other 2.2 guys will be here soon to confirm it.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
srdan
1.8 8v

Post by srdan »

Hello there, today I met a guy who tested 2.2 HDI engines - how much time does the oil pump needs to create normal oil pressure and to assure good lubrication.

With low idle speed it needs 7seconds, with normal 3-5 seconds. He said that he tried 2 different engines, so maybe both of them had bad oil pump :)

Does anyone know if this is correct?

So it is good to push it cold max to 1300rpm when you start it. Tomorrow I am going to find responsible map in ECU to re program the idle speed to 825 rpm. Worth to try :)
The engine should be designed for 825 +- few percents.
PEUGEOT 406 2.2 HDI
- DE-FAPPED
- EGR OFF
- PRO TUNED
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

srdan wrote:Hello there, today I met a guy who tested 2.2 HDI engines - how much time does the oil pump needs to create normal oil pressure and to assure good lubrication.

With low idle speed it needs 7seconds, with normal 3-5 seconds. He said that he tried 2 different engines, so maybe both of them had bad oil pump :)

Does anyone know if this is correct?

So it is good to push it cold max to 1300rpm when you start it. Tomorrow I am going to find responsible map in ECU to re program the idle speed to 825 rpm. Worth to try :)
The engine should be designed for 825 +- few percents.
Interesting stuff.
I find it strange that no other 2.2 guy pops in telling his idle speed. Maybe it's worth opeining a thread on the coupé forum? I'm sure there isn't a man in the world who tried more DW12TED4s than Finchy from the coupé forum did (he should have defapped and remapped around 20 406 at this time)

By the way, srdan, is yours defapped? EDIT: oh yes, I read it is. Do you use tha famous 180 map or something else?

srdan
1.8 8v

Post by srdan »

huh, I am in hurry right now, will answer all later.

I think that the turbo charger is spinning just little bit faster at idle --> because of no fap resistance,
and the ECU is compensating the idle speed lower...but this is just my theory.

The guy who is working his whole professional life with repairing the turbo chargers said that the turbos are spinning around 10.000 rpm at idle...
PEUGEOT 406 2.2 HDI
- DE-FAPPED
- EGR OFF
- PRO TUNED
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Mine is around 740 (a/c off) / 780 a/c on. (This shows on the rev counter as 780 / 820, 'real' numbers from PP2000).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

srdan wrote:huh, I am in hurry right now, will answer all later.

I think that the turbo charger is spinning just little bit faster at idle --> because of no fap resistance,
and the ECU is compensating the idle speed lower...but this is just my theory.

The guy who is working his whole professional life with repairing the turbo chargers said that the turbos are spinning around 10.000 rpm at idle...
Mines not remapped nor defapped (yet) and I am at around 720 (no a/c) and 800 (a/c), masured on the rev counter. I just think all engines are different...
EDIT: and around 900 rpm when cold, a/c off.

srdan
1.8 8v

Post by srdan »

hi, I can do the remap of your original file to 180bhp :) the revs seems to be normal than.
Maybe AutoData has some strange data...but probably there would be better to increase it a bit.
PEUGEOT 406 2.2 HDI
- DE-FAPPED
- EGR OFF
- PRO TUNED
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

srdan wrote:hi, I can do the remap of your original file to 180bhp :) the revs seems to be normal than.
Maybe AutoData has some strange data...but probably there would be better to increase it a bit.
That'd be great! Do you use the standard map some others on here use or you have a custom one?

srdan
1.8 8v

Post by srdan »

hi, you send me your binary file - your original. Than I modify bosch maps inside your original file just like 180bhp for now.
It is better to modify original, because no all same cars have 100% same ecu sw...

I can also do some little custom adaptations based on drivers wish... :)
(throttle sensitivity...)

I am very close to do total new custom map, but there is a lot of testing and i have problems with time lately.
PEUGEOT 406 2.2 HDI
- DE-FAPPED
- EGR OFF
- PRO TUNED
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

srdan wrote:hi, you send me your binary file - your original. Than I modify bosch maps inside your original file just like 180bhp for now.
It is better to modify original, because no all same cars have 100% same ecu sw...

I can also do some little custom adaptations based on drivers wish... :)
(throttle sensitivity...)

I am very close to do total new custom map, but there is a lot of testing and i have problems with time lately.
Will probably do then. Time's short for me too right now...
I do not have a PP2000 or a Galletto yet.
I'll let you know, thanks!

srdan
1.8 8v

Post by srdan »

i can msg you when I will go to Italy, i have whole equipment in my car :) we can do all on the road :P
PEUGEOT 406 2.2 HDI
- DE-FAPPED
- EGR OFF
- PRO TUNED
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

srdan wrote:i can msg you when I will go to Italy, i have whole equipment in my car :) we can do all on the road :P
that'd be great! I still have the FAP tho.
Planning to remove it around March when I change some more components.