another problem at 100mph

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

k9plums

another problem at 100mph

Post by k9plums »

again not a problem on public roads but when doing over 100mph the brakes stop working yet if you let the spped drop to below 100mph on its own they work fine again.
Any ideas would be helpfull
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Similar to mine then, I've been wondering if the belt is slipping at that speed causing the ABS to fail and then lose power to the brakes. Hows ur steering? As I think its all connected to the same belt.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
k9plums

Post by k9plums »

the steering seems fine still my dad recons it might be water in the brake pipes thats evaporating at high speed and then colling as soon as i slow down but i dont know how much faith to put in that
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

There is not a 'belt' connected to any part of the braking system.

If the pedal goes very hard with no feel then I think it is more likely to be a loss of Vacuum to the servo, Diesel cars have a VAC pump to give servo asisstance to the brakes there is a possibilty here that at continued high revs the VAC pump is not producing enough VAC.

The loss of VAC would also affect the EGR and Turbo actuator mechanisms and could give rise to electrical faults as there are sensors conected to the solenoid valves for these.

Could be worth checking in conjunction with the Alternator.

(and stop fibbing about driving on Private Roads) :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

TBH mate, you're right at the upper edge of the envelope at those speeds and you can't expect it to be reliable for long at 3 figure velocities - they might do it, but were never really intended to do so. Still, have you had your alternator/rectifier checked out yet? An electrical issue will cause ABS problems, which can manifest them selves in funny/unpredicatble ways.
jason j
1.8 16v

Post by jason j »

An BS problem will have no affect on the brakes whatsoever apart from stopping them locking up, the brakes will function perfectly with or without the abs module plugged in, which you can try yourself by unplugging the electrical connector from the module.

If the brakes are not working in the truest sense of the word then it will most likely be a servo problem.

Do you literally mean they do not work over a 100mph or do you mean they need a very firm shove? (as in pulling on the steering wheel to put pressure through the pedal)
k9plums

Post by k9plums »

they just stop working all together
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

turbolag wrote:TBH mate, you're right at the upper edge of the envelope at those speeds and you can't expect it to be reliable for long at 3 figure velocities - they might do it, but were never really intended to do so. Still, have you had your alternator/rectifier checked out yet? An electrical issue will cause ABS problems, which can manifest them selves in funny/unpredicatble ways.
Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I wonder if I 'broke' mine yesterday? :shock:
Cars in my care:
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Welton wrote:I wonder if I 'broke' mine yesterday? :shock:
Huh? Did ol' Welton push the 100mph barrier then?
Welly

Post by Welly »

Blue406 wrote:
Welton wrote:I wonder if I 'broke' mine yesterday? :shock:
Huh? Did ol' Welton push the 100mph barrier then?
And beyond my friend, only to find this morning my Check Engine Light came on, followed by a severe lack of boostage :cry:

Having a 'Code Read' tomorrow so will let you all know.

I hope and pray it is not the fuel pump, because I may aswell just give up :(
Cars in my care:
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

Blue406 wrote:
turbolag wrote:TBH mate, you're right at the upper edge of the envelope at those speeds and you can't expect it to be reliable for long at 3 figure velocities - they might do it, but were never really intended to do so. Still, have you had your alternator/rectifier checked out yet? An electrical issue will cause ABS problems, which can manifest them selves in funny/unpredicatble ways.
Which is true in a way, but the 110 HDi has a Supposedly top speed of 120mph, which it should be able to do without giving any problems. Obviously the longer you drive at over 100mph the likely something will eventually break on it.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

GeordieBoy wrote:
Blue406 wrote:
Which is true in a way, but the 110 HDi has a Supposedly top speed of 120mph, which it should be able to do without giving any problems. Obviously the longer you drive at over 100mph the likely something will eventually break on it.
Don't start that flawed logic again. Its getting tiresome. That top speed is calculated with a brand new engine with little mileage on it.
You cannot expect your car to do that today.
Besides, these cars a built to cruise at 70/80 mph with a family in the back. Nothing more.

You want 100mph more often... get something new thats built for it. It really is that simple.
GeneralZod

Post by GeneralZod »

k9plums wrote:they just stop working all together
Hi mate,

Had sommat similar a while back...seemed to be an issue the faster I went...turned out to be a shafted brake pipe which made brakes ineffective at higher speeds probably due to pressure!?!