Squeal!!!

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Squeal!!!

Post by Captain Jack »

Hello,

Seems I have developped another little noise from the engine. Mainly heard from cold only - it's a bit like a sqealing noise coming from around the left hand side of the engine. Pitch changes with revs, but the noise does disappear as the engine warms up. Could it be the auxiliary belts? Although I believe 406's have auto tensioned belts so doubt it would have gotten lose.

The noise tends to accompany the one described here but that one is present all the time.

Any ideas before I buzz off to Europe? :?

Cheers me dears.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Seems that bank holiday took everyone away from here :p

OK, I am now fairly convinced that it's the alternator belt that's making a squealing noise. When I replace it, do I need to replace the tensioner as well? The cost is £30 for the tensioner - something I'd rather avoid!

I assume it's an easy job compared to the cambelt change - something I would never want to attempt by myself!

Thanks

CJ
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

Can you spray a little oil onto the tensioner to see if the noise stops for a wee bit?
The noise is possibly the tensioner, but more likely to be the belt.
Throw a new belt on first and see if its that. The belts are only a tenner. Mine will be done shortly when I do my bottom pulley.
Good luck.

PS- some of us are at work on this fine English bank holiday.
Damned English again-
:lol: Oh flower of Scotland, when will we see...........................................................................
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Hello

Captain, I have a little squeel too!

It is the roller tensioner on mine (the one that is fixed to a support arm that can be seen bouncing up and down on the belt slightly).

As miniman said, if I spray a little WD40 on it it goes away (for about 5 mins).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Hmm intersting. Will need to try that. Do you spray it on the roller itself or the roller bearing?

CJ
miniman
2.0 16v

Post by miniman »

Not on the face that the belt runs on anyway!! Try to keep the spray WELL away from that. Spray it onto the side of it. Use the wee straw to prevent getting spray onto the belt. If the noise stops, then its the bearing thats fooked. £30 from Euro car parts or thereabouts. :shock: And thats cheap!
2002 Black 406 Executive 2.0HDi