Replacng rear pads and discs.

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

paulb2004uk
1.8 16v

Replacng rear pads and discs.

Post by paulb2004uk »

Is there anything special I need to know before I start replacing them.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

If your car is anything like my D8, get a *decent* set of allen keys and maybe an impact driver and big hammer. Expect to go "WTF?" a lot if you're trying to follow the Haynes

I still haven't managed to get my rear calipers off, but the weather's been crap every weekend since I bought the impact driver so I ain't had a chance. Share really because I've got bits of disc falling off!
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

Its not too hard.

Make sure you fully slaken the adjuster for the hand brake shoes, it makes the disc come of 10* easier. You will still need to hit with a hammer quite a bit to get them off. If you are changing the hand brake shoes follow the instructions in the haynes or you will be messing round all day!

When me and my brother did mine he did the first side and i did the second, took me 1/3 of the time because i followed the steps above. The only problem i had was i couldn't get the piston back into the caliper enough to re-fit the anti sqeue pads. I think this was just large pads as the piston was all the way in.

i used a "allen key" sockets with a rachet rather than a seperate allen key. you may need to hammer the pins out of the clipper, most of mine came out with a quick tap.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI