Lift Pump (in the fuel tank)

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Lift Pump (in the fuel tank)

Post by xplosiv »

Hi all,

I am getting the car serviced (the big on ?160) and also the cam belt changed at a pug dealer all for ?360, is there anything else I should change?

I have heard a lot of comments regarding the lift pump failing and thus taking out the high pressure pump etc, have Peugeot fixed the problem and thus do I need to change the lift pump? (Or will I have to live with the fact that it will brake any time, and cost tonnes of money to fix)

Many thanks,

Andy
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

The tank pump is one of those things that could go on forever, or then again maybe not.

If it does go then the official Peugeot method is to change the tank pump, tank, fuel lines, filter and fuel filter bowl. This is to prevent bits from the lp pump getting to the hp pump.

It is possible to flush out and clean the tank and fuel lines but it is a fairly big messy job.

As far as I understand, the main reason for hp pump failure shortly after the lp pump failure is because of people changing the fuel filter only. When you take the filter out it swills up the metal particles in the filter bowl, these then end up on the wrong side of the filter and then go straight into the hp pump. So at a bare minimum change the filter and filter bowl as a complete item (eurocarparts do them for ?31+vat, genuine Bosch), but its a gamble.

Fog