strange thumping noise

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

chili
2.0 16v

strange thumping noise

Post by chili »

only had my 406 2 days and this is my first ever pug, car is solid just sailed through it's mot however when i go over a bump in the road i tend to hear a sort of hollow thumping coming from the back, it sounds rubber-ish. i am thinking it may be the spare wheel as this is not secured down it is just lying free in its hollowed out section and then i thought it could be the rubber boots that are wrapped around the shocks.
on the flat and smooth roads car is running noise free.

any ideas ?
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

Best bet is to secure your spare first to eliminate it from further enquiries :cheesy:

Get yourself down the car breakers and pick uo the plastic nut doofer to secure the spare (your jack and stuff should be under the spare too).

For a quick check just leave the spare out and take the car out for a testdrive.

Fog
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

unable to secure my spare as there is nothing to screw in too ? i have a polystyrene lump with jack bits in it and my spare is on top of this in its hollowed out part of the boot, underneath all of this is flat metal....no screw down points ?

whats a drop link ??

it sounds like some kind of packing bit has gone where there was once rubber is now dull metal thud
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

supafrisk wrote:Firstly, there should be some kind of canvas type strap for you to strap the wheel and bits down with.
Secondly, if you look under the back of the car, there should be (struggling to think of what to say in layman's terms) a kind of metal bar across it. Check the ends for wear.
Doh!!

Forgot it was a strap in the 406, was thinking of our old Megane, sorry :shock:

Fog
chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

the strap makes sense as there are 2 points in the spare tyre well that look they are there for a reason.

thanks

will look for the bar when its dry. my son works for pug so it maybe a saturday morning job