adjusting 406 wipers

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

lawman27
1.6 8v

adjusting 406 wipers

Post by lawman27 »

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help with this. I've just replaced the wipers on my 406 with some flat blades recommended by auto express. They seem to work fine but the sweep is wrong. Passenger side touches the corner of the bonnet and the sweep on the driver side is about an inch short. Does anyone know how to adjust this out?

All help is much appreciated.
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: adjusting 406 wipers

Post by rwb »

Are they on the right way round?

24" on the drivers side and 22" on the passenger side.

I thought about getting some flat ones, but ended up with some conventional (Bosch) ones. I was worried that the wiper arms would be too far away from the windscreen to apply enough pressure. How are they (other than the wrong size)?

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Sounds like they're on the wrong way round as above.

I've got the Tesco flat wipers on mine (well that be wiper as one decided to vacate the premises yesterday evening and is still to be replaced). Work well and are cheap enough too. Usually £6 each IIRC but they have them on offer fairly often at half price.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

HimBigChief wrote:I've got the Tesco flat wipers on mine (well that be wiper as one decided to vacate the premises yesterday evening and is still to be replaced). Work well and are cheap enough too. Usually £6 each IIRC but they have them on offer fairly often at half price.
I had a Tesco blade on the passenger side of my Golf for a while. It was truly awful compared to the Valeo flat blades I have on the pug and the Golf's driver's side... I say "was"... It snapped off causing me to stop on the hard shoulder of the M6 and DUCT TAPE MY SOCKS over the exposed arm...

You get what you pay for
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
lawman27
1.6 8v

Post by lawman27 »

Thanks everyone,

I measured them and they were on the correct way round. I've eventually managed to adjust both of the wiper arms so the sweep is correct. As a few people have said on this forum, thats a sod of a job becuse the nuts are on solid and there is an easily breakable plastic fitting underneath them to stop you levering up. Still, 3 hours later its done. The only thing now is the passenger side wiper doesnt touch the screen for the last 15mm of its left hand side ie extreme left of the windscreen. Possibly i've slightly bent the arm but I can live with that. Otherwise they are really impressive-far better than my wipers from the peugeot dealer who serviced it. With that and new osram nightbreakers off ebay replacing all my bulbs i'm ready for winter.
totaleclipse
2.0 16v

Post by totaleclipse »

you guys seriously reckoning these are an upgrade?

only car i've driven with them in the rain, and they lifted off the screen at speed, and i couldn't see a thing.
1997 2.1TD executive estate - mmmm, lovely :)
pfusi1
1.8 8v

Post by pfusi1 »

Old thread but thought I'd better have my pence worth.

I tried the flat blades and they were rubbish, worked fine at slow speeds and looked good but soon lifted at higher speeds and as they aged. Bloody things are just too light - cleaned the screen well when they were first fitted but all new wiper blades do!

I stick to Valeo and Bosch, normally spend about £8 all in for a pair of front wiper blades. Got myself a 24" Valeo wiper blade for a renault Safrane at the car boot for a quid - changed the adapter and voila!

Other thing I use is Rain X, works so well you don't even need to use wipers - strains the eyes far less. When it rains the water beads up and at motorway speeds it just disappears up and off the top of the windscreen. You can drive without the wipers on and see really well, scares other drivers as well because they think you're unhinged, which, of course, I am!
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

My wiper arms feel like they don't apply much pressure, so I thought the flat blades being much thinner would be a problem.

Do you agree?

Very happy with my Bosch wipers.

rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Given our recent bout of intermittent squirters this Rain X stuff could be worth a look.

Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

standard bosch wipers anyday i dont buy anything else .

did use that rain-x a few years back and found that to be sh*t.. 8)
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

I've used that RainX stuff before, or at least some similar stuff and I've found it to be fantastic stuff. Easy enough to put on, but a bugger to polish back off again before you use it, but other than that it beads the water well, especially the faster you're going, and for the first few months you never need to use the wipers on the motorways no matter how hard it's raining! If I can be bothered I always try to redo my windscreen whenever I wash and polish the car, but my arm's usually knackered by that point so I don't bother. :lol:
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car