D8 1.9 TD turbo Whistling

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

deathbydiesel
1.8 8v

D8 1.9 TD turbo Whistling

Post by deathbydiesel »

As above really, only started the other day, it's not too loud, just wondering if it's something to be worried about? The Car's done 145k, due a service sometime soon, bit of a oil weep on the sump nut (prob the copper washer?) Any help gratefully recieved.

Oh totally unrelated, but, Cheers Foxy, the leather's in and looking minty :mrgreen:

They call me Grand-Pa!
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

Tubos can get noticeably whistly as they age, or as the oil tires. Double check you've got no air leaks in the intercooler or pipework, as you can get some whistling noises from these.

I'd say not to worry unduly, as long as it's not making your eardrums bleed.

Good luck.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I posted about this ages ago, my turbo whistles a high pitch whistle, like you hear on a lorry going past.

Lower pitch whistles can be air leaks in the hoses etc.

It may be important to note that I cannot really hear the Turbo when the windows are shut.

My mileage is 107000, I was bothered about it once but the car pull like a train and it has not got any worse. Interestingly the whistle is more noticeable when engine cold, after a good run it is less so.

Diesels run higher boost that petrols and you allways seem to be able to hear a Diesel Turbo over a petrol one.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

I'd agree with Welton. My HDi turbo can be heard with the windowd down, but with the windows up you'd need both the stereo and the aircon fan off before you'd hear it, and then only just.

BTW, my new stainless mesh filter whistles like i've got a jet engine bolted under the bonnet, and when you lift off between changes it chuffs in a similar manner to a dump valve, though not so loud. sweet :cheesy:
deathbydiesel
1.8 8v

Post by deathbydiesel »

Thanks, as I said a service ids due soon and given that a number of us Derv heads have a whistle, I'll stop fretting, cheers peeps :mrgreen:

They call me Grand-Pa!