Wheel bolts too short

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

tux2006
2.0 16v

Wheel bolts too short

Post by tux2006 »

I have just become the proud owner of some 18" chrome alloys for a very reasonable price however one slight problem is that because of the fitment i have to use spacers these spacers are fine and all the holes match up the only problem is the bolts are too short!!! :shock:

Does anyone happen to know where I can get longer ones (and longer locking ones) I've tried Halfords and all local motor stores Have been given a name of a place close buy called protyre who would probly have what im after but have too wait till tomorrow to ring just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem? and how they sorted it?
Malachy
2.2 16v

Post by Malachy »

just got some new alloys for my pug (needed for my fiat brembos and 305mm discs)
i needed longer wheel bolts too you can pick them up off ebay.
1996 306cab with a few mods
1997 Mercedes C230 Kompressor sport
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

yup.
Ebay is quite good for this sort of stuff.

Have a look around. At one point there was a guy selling hubnut conversion kits. Basically you locktight the bolts into the hub permenantly and then have nuts to keep the wheels on. Much handier when taking the wheels off.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Sorry Tux' I just need to ask Malachy summut.......

How's the Cab conversion going?, I read your story book of adventures last night with interest (no, really) and want to know where it's at now.

I want a video clip of the Grand 'Starting the engine for first time' opening please.

Welt's

PS. get the bolts off ebay
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Malachy
2.2 16v

Post by Malachy »

Welton wrote:Sorry Tux' I just need to ask Malachy summut.......

How's the Cab conversion going?, I read your story book of adventures last night with interest (no, really) and want to know where it's at now.

I want a video clip of the Grand 'Starting the engine for first time' opening please.

Welt's

PS. get the bolts off ebay
lol its running on 2 cylinders at the moment having problems driving the peugeot coilpack and megasquirt.
so i have decided to switch to ford edis ignition after much messing about.
this means i need to put a 36-1 tooth wheel onto my bottom pulley with a vr sensor this reads the wheel and tells the edis pack when to send a signal to the coilpack and to spark.

here is a video of edis testing on megasquirt (using a sound file to trigger the vr input)

and here is the water cut trigger wheel

and here is the edis system
tux2006
2.0 16v

Post by tux2006 »

Fnx guys managed to get just wot I needed off ebay :D
Welly

Post by Welly »

I do believe my Ford Onion EFi had that set up?

I'm not being funny here, but, is that system not prone to inaccuracies?

Does the Pug system use a crank angle sensor for spark - timing? I honestly don't know but I don't think Pug use the same sort of toothed wheel system?

Mind you malachy, you have performed miracles thus far so I assume you have chosen that system for it's simple, reliable operation.

Hope it works well for you, the whole car I mean, and it's very nice to see you have addressed the braking as many would not.

Cheers.
Cars in my care:
Malachy
2.2 16v

Post by Malachy »

Welton wrote:I do believe my Ford Onion EFi had that set up?

I'm not being funny here, but, is that system not prone to inaccuracies?

Does the Pug system use a crank angle sensor for spark - timing? I honestly don't know but I don't think Pug use the same sort of toothed wheel system?

Mind you malachy, you have performed miracles thus far so I assume you have chosen that system for it's simple, reliable operation.

Hope it works well for you, the whole car I mean, and it's very nice to see you have addressed the braking as many would not.

Cheers.
yeah ford orion uses it its actually a very very good system that defaults to 10 deg btdc unless you get a signal to change it(pip/saw signals), pug uses a 60-2 toothed wheel on the flywheel the problem is it does not use a "smart" ignition module so all the dwell/spark settings have to be done on the ecu, this is where my problem lies.
the only inacuracy will be when i first install it you need to set the engine to atdc and have the vr sensor over tooth 9 (90degrees) this can be fine tuned in the megasquirt software using a timing light and a trim setting that you can just add or subtract degrees to set the base timing point.

it would be nice to be able to use the ford smart edis unitwith the stock 60-2 wheel but this is impossible, as the ford unit wil onlydecode 36-1
Welly

Post by Welly »

Well, you've got it covered there chap.

TBH as bad as my Onion was, as far as the ignition timing goes it was all good good good.
Cars in my care: