[D9] Engine oil decreases regularly-after timing belt renew

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Voltron
1.8 8v

[D9] Engine oil decreases regularly-after timing belt renew

Post by Voltron »

Hello all, I have a problem with EW10J4 engine.

I used Total 9000 engine oil for many years. At 78.000 km, timing belt changed and this problem was started to occur from this replacement.

Now, my D9 is around 90.000 km, and I need to add 1 lt. oil for every 3.000 km. !

My oil indicator has 6 points when I renewed oil, and it decreases to 2 points after 3.000 km.

Checked ground and engine surface for a possible oil leak, no there is any leak. Checked exhauts fume and there is no blueish smokes. Changed oil type to Total 7000 and it still decreases engine oil.

Do you experienced same problem ? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Selcuk

Istanbul - Turkey
Voltron
1.8 8v

Post by Voltron »

Thank you for your input supafrisk

Is it a bad luck ? :) I asked other 406 D9 owners they have similar mileage and model years like my D9. They don't have similar problem. Asked many technical services but got no reliable answers :(
reloaded
1.6 8v

Post by reloaded »

I have a 2L D9 coupe and she doesn't use a drop... ever but a few years ago I owned a 1.8 early saloon that used oil at a rate of knots :!:

It would drink a litre every month or 2k miles, I never found out where or how it was disposing of the oil but I sold the car to my dad three years ago and he has just moved it on again with 130k on the clock, still drinking oil and still going strong.

I would keep an eye on your coolant and drive.

Dan
Voltron
1.8 8v

Post by Voltron »

Thank you reloaded
I would keep an eye on your coolant and drive.
My 406's EW engine has got no oil cooler system like XU's. What do you mean with coolant ?
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

The stuff in your radiator :)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Sometimes an engines breathng system can be at fault like the PCV valve, on lift off oil mist/oil get pushed up or sucked into the inlet manifold and burnt off. Not always easy to spot as it will only do it after lift off and will be a light blue smoke but won't smoke on acceleration (when you'd be looking out for it).

My Honda VTEC had breathing problems after I used Fully Synthetic Oil, I think the oil removed some deposits and blocked or affected the breathing, I would get blue smoke after lift offs and also found clean oil before the throttle body where it had been push/sucked up from the Cam cover breather tube.

The engine would use oil but wasn't strictly 'burning' it.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work