406 hdi coughs and cuts out

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

hotrodboogie

406 hdi coughs and cuts out

Post by hotrodboogie »

Hi, i have a problem with my 406 2.0l hdi 1999 saloon, when stationary you can rev it to 3000rpm then it just cuts out, sometimes restarts straight away and sometimes doesnt, when you are driving along if you rev it to 2000 rpm it does the same, some times less revs, its like the fuel has been cut off, i have changed the fuel pressure switch that bolts on the fuel rail and i have changed the injector pump, help needed please as dont know where to go from here, thanks.
FlySpeck
2.0 16v

Re: 406 hdi coughs and cuts out

Post by FlySpeck »

does sound like poor fuel pressure, the lift pump could be failing to supply the injection pump enough fuel under load, hence the rail pressure drops and limp mode is triggered. But it may be a faulty MAF, or the fuel filter may be clogged, EGR blocked, or even the particulate filter (DPF) may be bunged up and choking the motor. Lots of things can cause stalling, so its hard to say without fault codes, can you get it read by an OBD scanner?

From my fault-finding guide I posted this morning this may help you a wee bit:

Engine stops:-

The HDi system causes the engine to stop immediately when a fault is present on one of the following components :
Eprom fault in the injection ECU.
Engine speed sensor.
Camshaft position sensor.
Voltage of capacitor N°1 (diesel injector control stage in the injection ECU).
Voltage of capacitor N°2 (diesel injector control stage in the injection ECU).
Pressure monitoring loop in the common injection rail.
Diesel injector fault (1 to 4).

The injection ECU only operates the injectors when the pressure exceeds 120 bar.

Reduced fuel flow mode:-

This back-up operating mode limits fuel flow, and the engine speed cannot under any circumstances exceed 3200 rpm.

The injection system switches to "reduced flow" mode when a fault is present on one of the following components :
Fuel high pressure sensor.
Pressure monitoring loop in the common injection rail.
Accelerator pedal sensor (stage N° 1).
Accelerator pedal sensor (stage N° 2).
Inlet manifold pressure sensor.
Air flowmeter.
Vehicle speed sensor.
Exhaust gas recycling function (regulation).
Recycling regulation electrovalve (EGR).
Fuel high pressure regulator.
2001 406 HDi 90 LX saloon with moon miles...