Speed sensor position?

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

406Vsix

Speed sensor position?

Post by 406Vsix »

Hi, Newbie 406 owner here.

I've got an intermittent speedo fault, Pug dealer has sold me a speed sensor, but neglected to tell me where it lives! :roll:

Any pointers please, just to save me dismantling half the car, unless that's what's required. :cry:

2000, X reg, 3.0 V6 petrol estate.

TIA.
tempragolf
1.8 8v

Re: Speed sensor position?

Post by tempragolf »

Its mounted on the gearbox just above one of the drive shafts as they come out of the gearbox. Can't remember if its left or right now.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

It's the offside side of the diff. Pic taken from my clutch change howto in the knowledge base section of the forum, which you may want to check out:

It's the beige bit at the bottom left of the picture. The connector has a fabric heat shield over it, the best way to get at it is to jack the car up (don't forget the axle stands!) and get at it from underneath.

Just a warning: I suspect removing the old sensor will result in a gear oil fountain. I'd consider an oil change. You want a new plug seal (£pennies) and exactly 1.9 litres in there, you can put it in using a funnel through the reverse light switch hole (the switch is the white bit in the middle of the picture)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
406Vsix

Post by 406Vsix »

Thanks for your replies chaps.
Pics especially helpful, thanks.
Have got hold of a Haynes, does not cover the V6, but hopefully will be of some use.
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

If not there, then it's the speedo control box which lives behind the glovebox. Quite a common fault, try doing a search for it.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car