406 2.0 HDI (110) CAT - D8/D8.5

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

kerman19
1.8 8v

406 2.0 HDI (110) CAT - D8/D8.5

Post by kerman19 »

Hello,

My cat for the past few weeks has been blowing right at the top, last week it died completely, being enough exhaust gases leaked into the engine bay and flagged up the Fault Light, entered limp mode and barely even idles let alone runs! Does anyone know off the top of the head what faults its likely to have flagged up?

Yesterday the new CAT got fitted by one of the mother-in-laws relatives since they own a garage for £125 all in, well, going to work this morning the damn thing died again from the same thing, only this time from it being badly fitted! I'm so f*cking angry! I got pushed out of doing it myself for little over £96! At least then I would not have this problem!

The cause of the original fault was pretty much down to my brother who despite my objections took it for a "spin" down the M180/A180 at some 130mph as reported by the speedo, since then it's really not been right and i fear he's destroyed it!

I couldn't get any info regarding the faults from the garage that did it, so my summary for all this is basically looking for a little light on the subject of faults relating to having a hole in the cat, the exact location of the hole is on the mesh right at the top near the exhaust manifold.

Thanks,

Phil
1999 D8.5 HDI (110) - Quality french engineering, not.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: 406 2.0 HDI (110) CAT - D8/D8.5

Post by Welly »

There's nothing I know of to flag a check light because the exhaust is blowing like this because there is no CAT sensor to measure anything going on like that.

One thing I do know is that once when I did a 120mph run once then the very next day the engine light came on and it was down to the radiator cooling fan overloading. Granted it only went into temporary limp mode..

The downpipe flexi is a favourite place to fail and can be linked to excess engine movement thanks to a worn rear lower engine mount. I think maybe your original running troubles were down to the CAT breaking up and disrupting gas flow.

To be fair unless you get a good code read you're not going to know what's going on. Something you could check is the main fuel rail pressure - this will be shown on the diagnostic machine and the benchmark is a steady 298bar at idle rising to 600, 800 + bar when revved. This is just incase the HP pump is failing (pretty rare).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

Thats what I thought also, I couldn't find anything at all relating to fault codes due to a failing CAT, though when it starts blowing it cuts-out, when it doesn't blow, it runs! Odd, I'm going to push for the fault codes so I can better understand what is going on.

I did forget to mention since the CAT being replaced there is a really annoying thump when you crank it over where the exhaust slaps the chassis, and around 1000rpm-2000rpm there is a REALLY irritating vibration through the chassis. Like I said in the middle of everything I forgot to mention this. I will investigate further. Thanking about it more it really makes sence!

Thanks,

Phil
Welly

Post by Welly »

You ought to examine the back box too by getting someone to rev the engine whilst you hold your hand near/under the tail pipe - it should emit a huge blast of air at you. If it doesn't then maybe the back box is blocked causing back pressure all the way back.

Check the connection to the back box - these corrode and break off and leave the exhaust tube blowing right at a dead end!

Sounds to me that your rear engine mount is shot causing all this stuff to move too much (I had all this) btw how did they replace your CAT without a new flexi pipe? they're all in one piece! :?
Cars in my care:
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

For the short, really short period of time it was working OK, it was clearly evident that the exhaust system was functioning normally, as you said a nice volume of air being fired out.

I expect that they simply did not seat it correctly and it's since now sat correctly and the joint at the manifold end is now loose. They replaced the cat with the attached mesh, just badly.

I've also observed a little play in the throttle cable which I need to sort out too, It looks like its going to be a nice weekend so no time like the present to get stuck in with a mammoth list of things I've got to sort out on this car!

It really sucks living in Crawley as there is only one scrap yard in the area and they know it, so they charge the earth and is full of Taxi's; none of which are Peugeot 406's

I'll give the engine a good ol rockin' and confim that the rear mount is fux0r3d.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

The "problem" with the cat makes no sense at all.

This is a diesel, the cat is more of a particulate filter than a true cat, it isn't linked into the engine management system, therefore it will not show any fault codes.

A leaking exhaust will run better than a sealed exhaust because there is nothing restricting the flow of gasses.
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

Directly the problem with the CAT shouldn't cause any problems, unless in my case that the gasses being thrown out of the mesh go in the engine bay and replace the clean air that would normally be drawn in, and thus flag a fault based on that.

But really until I get them fault codes I wont know what actually happened.
Welly

Post by Welly »

kerman19 wrote:gasses being thrown out of the mesh go in the engine bay and replace the clean air that would normally be drawn in, and thus flag a fault based on that
That won't cause any trouble (apart from a smell in the cabin) since the engine draws air in from right down at the front inside the wheel arch. There's got to be something else going on.

You haven't gone through any deep puddles have you? the air intake is very low - you may have soaked the air filter and air flow meter (it's happened on here before in heavy rain).
Cars in my care:
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

Nope, no puddles.

I can't think of anything else it could of been, before the CAT was replaced the hole was huge and with the bonnet up it would start, idle and rev a little, with the bonnet closed, it would start, idle for a bit then cut out.

Until I have them fault codes i'll be none the wiser, even then, who knows!
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

Well, I just got a phone call from the other half since they decided to call her and not me.

Fault codes where conclusive with Injector 1 3 and 4 problems.... I don't think so somehow. I totally flat out refuse to consider that as the problem given that when you put your foot down it spits out loads of smoke at the cat to manifold joint and then the K light comes on, drive for 5 mins under slightly more normal conditions i.e under 3000rpm and the K light goes out!

I've given up with them and gonna limp it home and sort it out myself which I should of done in the first place!
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

Fault Codes are as follows.

P0380 - Glow plugs, Circuit A - Malfunction
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - Circuit Malfuntion
P1109 - Adaption Air Inlet on Vivid, Engine Cooler Blower Motor Relay 2 on AutoData or Air Intake Temperature Sensor B Intermittent
P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) - Circuit Malfunction
P0204 - Injector 4 - Circuit Malfunction
P0201 - Injector 1 - Circuit Malfunction

Any Ideas?

Symtoms are, at low revs it seems to drive fine, drive a bit heavier i.e normal it cuts out after flagging the K Light up - starts back up fine after just with the K Light on, if you drive carefully the K Light goes out, boot it a little, same problem etc etc.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Did you clear the codes and see what happened?

If you get more codes, you should have the live data read.
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

I cleared them, drive normally up and down the road, dies, codes come up again. Rinse Repeat.

As for the live data being read, thats not an option at this point in time, unfortunatly. I'll have to run with the codes that i've got and see what I can come up with.

This weekend is going to be a bundle of joy, oh well at least the oscilloscope will get some use!

Thanks,

Phil
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I would start with the EGR valve, clean it out or something....do a search, I'm sure there is something about EGR valve faults somewhere.
kerman19
1.8 8v

Post by kerman19 »

I've checked out the EGR, everything appears to be fine. Cleaned everything anyway - made no difference.

I've arranged to get diagnostics sent out to me on monday which will shed some light in terms of getting some live data and see what fault comes up first. I'll report back when I have that information to hand!

In the meantime i'm going to try and enjoy what little i have left of my weekend!!

Thanks,

Phil