JUMPING OUT OF FIFTH

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

annie
2.0 16v

Re: JUMPING OUT OF FIFTH

Post by annie »

ill take the airbox out to find this breather then?
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

airbox is out and im being dumb because i can find no way into the gbox from the top.... looks like ill need to now remove the left wheel and the shroud and look from that side....

tbh ive had enough now and once all back together she will be sold i think... taken way longer than i thought it would..... thanks for so much help
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

still cant find the refill plug through the left hand wheel arche like it says in the manual..so annoying to get this far when ive put it all back together
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

There isn't a filler on the left hand side...only on the early models, but not HDi.

On top of the gearbox is a black or white plastic nut...pull out the fitting that is in or on it and fill the gearbox from here.
If you really can't find it then use the reverse light switch...remove it then fill from here.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

is the reverse light switch directly on top of the gbox under the airbox ' next to that switch is a white plastic cylindrical cover about 1in across and 2in high. is that direct into the gbox. i havent removed it yet as its brittle and dont want to break it....
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Yes the plastic thing is the breather...pull off the top to access the gearbox...some of these look like a nut.

The reverse light switch has a connector block with 2 wires attached...it's on top of the gearbox towards the front of the car.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

back together and running quietly on the axle stands. the middle boot just spins and throws out grease so need to get a new kit inc boot or try and get just the 5inch ish diametr clip as cable ties wont work
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Can you make a large jubilee clip fit?

I use these on some cv boots where there is enough room.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

going to have a jubilee made up the right size and try that'
just taken her for a 10 mile run at 50 plus mph and all is well so far and i can start it up and close it down without the racket of a banging exhaust now. much smoother in all gears and used to jump about in first gear and now its really smooth.. thanks for the help... m sure i would have given in and scrapped it before now without your help.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

You're welcome...you did well in not giving up :cheesy:

I knew you could do it :cheesy:

Regarding the jubilee clip...you could join 2 smaller ones together and make a bigger clip.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

full of clever ideas... at least its quiet... i was dreading a grating noise as soon as i moved off.

ever since i replaced rear stab arms the steering wheel has beem slightly left of centre by a tiny amount.. until i get it computer tracked can i cheat and wind in the right side buy a turn to bringthe wheel back centre is that just inviting excessive tyre wear etc..
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ear-Type-CV-J ... 3cfeb17015 the proper tool.. for putting my clips back on inner cv boot. will get worm drive clip later but like doing a job properly if i can.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

ive just realised why its spinning on the shaft.... the smaller end is cable tied to the shaft BUT isnt ther supposed to be a metal ring inside the cv boot allowing the shaft to twist inside it?
prob a small circlip or similar,,, mine is missing and the cable tie is just clamping the boot hard to the shaft so it makes the bigger inner end just spin on the cvjoint outer, if this makes sense..
do i need to order a new cvboot ful kit or find a circlip the right size..
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

The inner boot should be fastened securely on the shaft at both sides...none of these I've ever done has had a circlip nor a metal ring to allow the shaft to spin inside the boot....the inner joint is slotted into the inner joint casing and turns together as a unit.

I think fitting a jubilee clip is a solid solution. If you want to fit the original type clips then you should be able to buy them separately or buy a new inner boot kit.

The tool looks alright, but I never use a tool for that job.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

ahh. i didnt realise it turned as a unit... thanks.... will get it sealed up today. went on a small drive this morning and all is well and quiet. need a towbar now and undecided to sell it with no faults..

id like an auto saloon or estate petrol or diesel but must have towbar and working aircon.. everything works on my car as the last owner had it from new with fsh from same village garage for 15 yrs. all droplinks done . new rear shoes. serviced evry 6000miles and 4 new tyres. new aircon condensor and full aircon service and regas.
maybe i should keep it as itys running great and only 107k on the clock but the towbar is pretty expensive to put on a 700 pound car