Cambelt change

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

JIMBOB326
1.8 8v

Cambelt change

Post by JIMBOB326 »

When a cambelt is changed, if the water pump is done also i take it they would change my antifreeze/coolant at the same time. My car needs a service and i just want to know what fluids they will be changing at the same time.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Cambelt change

Post by lozz »

Hi,
coolant wouid have to be drained off, if water pump was replaced,
ithink a garage wouid be able to get antifreeze at trade price,
iwouid ask them first what it wouid cost, might work out cheaper than actualy sourcing it yourself,
rlees85
1.8 16v

Post by rlees85 »

Its best to get your water pump done at the same time. Also if your coolant is that orangey rust coloured stuff and you do it yourself make sure you buy "OAT" coolant
Archangel
2.0 Turbo

Post by Archangel »

rlees85 wrote:Its best to get your water pump done at the same time. Also if your coolant is that orangey rust coloured stuff and you do it yourself make sure you buy "OAT" coolant

what the hell is "OAT" coolant ?
Replacement !
1998 2.1 TD LX Estate Red 196,000 TURBO DIESEL XUD11BTE "Alice " 200 k just hit yesterday 17/2/2012 not bio yet , smooth box , lovely runner

1997 1.9 TD GLX Estate Black XUD9TE " Norma " now sold
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Archangel wrote:
rlees85 wrote:Its best to get your water pump done at the same time. Also if your coolant is that orangey rust coloured stuff and you do it yourself make sure you buy "OAT" coolant

what the hell is "OAT" coolant ?
its got arust inhibitor in it,
ive only used it in k-series engines, its expensive stuff for what its worth, halfords make a big meal out of it not much change out of 20 quid scandalous :(
rlees85
1.8 16v

Post by rlees85 »

Maybe OAT was the wrong acronym? Either way, its used in most newer cars and is NOT compatible with the old blue glycol whatever stuff and will form a sludge and bugger your heater matrix. So even if it is a bit more expensive its not really optional.

Either way, last time I went frauds I got a few liters of the stuff and it didnt cost much, maybe 50p or a pound more than the regular coolant. Not sure if having a trade card helped

edit: just checked. yes OAT is the correct acronym! my 306 came with OAT from the factory and some twat put normal coolant in it (before i broguht it) and it killed the heater matrix (formed a sludge and blocked it) thats the only reason why I thought its worth a mention
Last edited by rlees85 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

OAT = Organic Acid Technology

I think the key point here is not to mix blue and red coolant :)
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey