HDI 110 Turbo Problems

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

SHD1983
1.6 8v

HDI 110 Turbo Problems

Post by SHD1983 »

I bought a 406 HDI (110) in February thats now done 62k and pulls like a train. I've had a few niggling little problems like having to replace the fuel lift pump, throttle position sensor and the glow plugs but nothing big.

However I've just had it MOT'd and the Mechanic (not from Peugeot) told me that the Turbo is on its way out. The thing is with the Windows closed I can only just hear the turbo (and that's with the Stereo off and aircon pump off). I've replicated the smoke test a couple of times with the bonnet up and even then there's not a lot of noise from it, plus there's no blue smoke and it's not burning oil. I only had it serviced at Peugeot a month ago and they said nothing about the turbo.

Does anyone know of HDI turbo problems or have any tips/checks they can recommend.

I just don't really want to have to replace the turbo (?500 new, ?350 recon exl labour), but equally I don't want to suffer the engine shredding horror stories the Mechanic was giving me!
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

RE

Post by xplosiv »

Hi,

How did he decide that the turbo was on it's way out? (and is he selling you the new turbo)

If you are worried you can get a peugeot dealer to check the tubo for you (i think it would cost about ?25 - ?30 )

I had a 309 DT with 130K on the clock and turbo is still fine, And that turbo was under more pressure.

i have to say the mot guy sounds like he is talking out of his arse, unless he pressure tested the turbo (although i don't think tis is part of an MOT Test)

If it is not burning oil (blue smoke) i have no ideas, get somebody to follow you in another car to check for blue smoke (as reving the car on the drive does not put the turbo under load), if it is black smoke you probaly only need to change the waste gate on the turbo ( AKA EGR Valve)

i would check with peugoet

Many THanks,

ANdy

NB please tell me how he came to deciede the turbo is going
SHD1983
1.6 8v

Post by SHD1983 »

He complained that the Turbo was very noisy when he rev'd it hard for the smoke test. I've tried to replicate this and can't hear what he's talking about.

He's not selling me the turbo, the prices I got from places like Middlesex Tuning and some others I found on the web/yellow pages.

Cheers for tip, will get one of my friends to follow me and check for blue smoke under load.
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

re

Post by xplosiv »

Hi,

Let me know how it goes.

Either get Peugeot to test it or a somebody who knows about turbo chargers (they should be able to tell you by just listening to it, if it is ok or not)

Andy
turbolag
Officer of the law!

Post by turbolag »

I'd have thought it unlikely to be kacked at that mileage, provided the cars been serviced as per spec. Provided they're not fiddled with the KKK/Garret blowers on the HDi have a good rep for longevity. with the stero and blowers off and the windows down you should just be able to hear it.
xplosiv
2.0 Turbo

Post by xplosiv »

HI,

With the windows up and the acc on, you should be able to hear the turbo sort of whistling at 3000rpm +, at the end of the day they are compressing air, hence the noise.

As long as you have not lost power and there is no blue smoke, you should be ok.

The notion that the turbo can destroy the engine is silly, if the turbo is on its last legs you would notice a lack of power and having to top up your oil all the time, due to seals in the turbo.

There is a very small % of engines that will break due to sudden turbo failure (i.e. turbo disintegration)

Andy
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

I wouldn't worry too much.

my cars done 130k+ on one turbo (i think). It can clearly be heard whisttling with the windows down. If a turbo fails normally it will not do any damage, theres two cases that they can cause damage.

1) the turbo breaks up send lumps of metal into the engine.

2) the seals go and oil is pump into the engine, which uses it as fuel. burns all the oil until the engine ceases after running at max revs for a min or too. :cry:

Normally a turbo will just stop working thou. I had one go on a skoda octavia, (120k) after long run the turbo just didn't kick in, turn it off and back on it would work ok for a while.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I am laughing at this because I was bothered about the same thing!!!

My Turbo is VERY whistly, high pitched like a Lorry Turbo driving past you.

At the end of the day if the car pulls strongly and there's no blue smoke then it will be fine, these engines will do monster mileages and other stuff will go LONG before the Turbo.

The Turbo on a Diesel engine runs a lot cooler than a Petrol as the exhaust side (the turbine) is cooler than a petrol so Diesel Turbo units tend to last for a hell of a lot longer.

With my windows down I can hear a nice whistle and even hear the pressure relief when I throttle off (I actually like the sound now) and don't forget the Turbo is not that far away from the driver with the window down.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work