and today i have mostly been...

Just your normal general chatting in here..

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: and today i have mostly been...

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:19 pm
Although if it really is that close to the cat's eye it might be a job for a vet (also $$$ :( )
mmm, Google told me the head of the tick is 'barbed' (it f*cking would be) so the 'twist' bends the barbs to allow extraction. Care is needed not to squeeze the bulbous part of the little twat as it will 'spew' nasty sh*t back into your pet. Bugger, I can see us having a right job pinning-down our Forester long enough to piss about right near his eye ball :(
Cars in my care:

2005 Volvo S40 T5 German Diesel botherer with new tyre grippage
2010 Citroen C4 1.6 HDi turbo de' explosions, bizarre gearbox model
2010 Renner Twingo refreshingly simple

Welly

Post by Welly »

Well I got home last night and the Tick seems to have gone :? I can feel a 'scab' there (hope it's not the head part) but will keep a check on it.
Cars in my care:

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

It'll have dropped off somewhere. Time for some more spring cleaning? :shock:

Took Brian for his follow-up/antibiotic repeat this morning, then released him into the wild. He's already been back for some chicken... While we were there we got anti-parasitics for all - pills for the dogs, ampoules for the cats. That's 500Kn we won't be seeing again :( I did Brian before I let him out this morning, the rest will follow. The dogs just got their pills, Ollie wasn't a problem but Teddy and Scooter put up a flight. Scooter worst of all, even wrapped in my precious bacon it still wouldn't go. Eventually, after he'd scoffed the bacon, I popped the two halves in his gob (ignoring all the growls, he knows better than that) and held his muzzle until it was all gone.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - sold but being very well looked after.
1991 Yamaha TDM850 - fuel leaks galore!
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - It's alive!!

Welly

Post by Welly »

One of our cats always susses out you've hidden* a tablet in a piece of chicken/cheese and skillfully gobs it out whole onto the floor, if you keep the chicken pieces going at him quickly he eventually scoffs the tablet by mistake I think.

The other cat will eat a tablet straight off the floor if you put bits of food around it.
Cars in my care:

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hiding pills in stuff never* works for cats, I use a pair of plastic tweezers: t'wife holds the cat and immobilises the front legs, I scruff the cat, tip its head back as far as possible, wedge its gob open with the tweezers and, while its mouth is open, thrust the pill as far back as I feel safe with. Then maybe give it a little nudge further in. Most of the time it works. I just wish I could do it like our vet Mirela does: grab head, tilt back, open mouth using, I dunno, telekinesis maybe? Thrust the tweezers in much further than I dare and release. I think she does it too fast for the cat to react, then she probably does that 10 times a day x 30 years.

*and when I say never, last time we wormed them Teatime put up a major fight, the first two pills I tried he managed to get between his molars and chew into a paste before spitting them out. So in desperation I got some of my precious bacon (2 rashers left! :cry: ), cut it into bits, gave him one bit empty for a taster, then put the pill in the next bit, folded it up, offered it to him and he snaffled it down as quick as :shock: 8)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - sold but being very well looked after.
1991 Yamaha TDM850 - fuel leaks galore!
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - It's alive!!