Peugeot 406 Coupe EV conversion

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Peugeot 406 Coupe EV conversion

Post by Doggy »

I guess you have write your own rules for this one.
Since you're only switching the clutch supply there's no compelling reason to use the existing relay unless you really want to.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate

arber333
1.8 8v

Post by arber333 »

Car has automatic AC. I think it is in my interest to keep everything as OEM as possible. Save for AC compressor and its drive i think everything including the pressostat will remain the same.
I intend to drive compressor via my Volt inverter rear (aux) controller. I think it can drive up to 25Arms and that should be enough for 3 - 5kW cooling power.
I made a simple interface to start compressor with a single 12V pulse (AC clutch). Then compressor spools up in about a second or two. Also when signal off is used compressor will spool down slowly. System works in my workshop but i need to install new pipes and hoses and fill it with gas to test in ernest.

arber333
1.8 8v

Post by arber333 »

Good news! I was at the TUV (MOT inspection) and the car was generaly good. They raised some findings though. Mainly on some of my finishing work. I have to present them with evidence i repaired that and my car will be legal.

The one finding i recognised the most serious is the "open door beeper". Regulation says it needs to beep if key is ON and doors are open. This is to notify the driver of the working vehicle since EV does not produce any sound when standing still.
Originaly Pug has a beeper which does beep once if you open the door, but that is not enough. Sound needs to be continuous.

My plan is to fit a piezo speeker under the drivers seat and it will be wired to ignition and to the door.
My only problem is how the door knows it is open? I cant see any switches on the door or on the frame. Does anyone know of where that would be located?

I need to connect to incoming side of the switch and my beeper will chime..
Or maybe i need to connect the the door light under/inside the door? It is only lit when door is open is it not?

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

That's serious? To me that's a modern idea, most of the cars I have ever owned didn't have that and I can't see why it would be much of a safety issue, more like a "you're an idiot" reminder :roll:

The switches are in the door lock, I think there are two per lock (one to say if it's open, one to say if it's locked - the memory fades :( ) but I'm sure it would be easiest to fit a buzzer across the courtesy lights (or would the BSI throw a wobbly because of the fader? Ah crap :x )
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - sold but being very well looked after.
1991 Yamaha TDM850 - pretending to be 425cc single :frown:
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - It's alive!!

arber333
1.8 8v

Post by arber333 »

Yes i found out the door light connector and spliced my chime into it. The only negative side is that it chimes all the time when i have the doors open. I will need to find a turned key positive wire. I see window buttons only work when key is turned. So my plan is to connect to the supply wire for that.
That should reduce annoyance to a minimum.

In other news i found out what was bothering my Pug drivetrain. It was not only a bearing support.
The left inside CV joint has a halfh siezed bearing. In by itself i couldnt determine that since the wheels had so little resistance when lifted up. It was only when my friend an i tried to rotate both wheels simultaneously we noticed the LH side was grabbing the differential. I noticed a slight tick in the CV joint when turning outside of allignment. I guess this was something that was declaring itself before failure.
I will need to take that CV apart, inspect the bearings and the outer surface. Maybe it will be enough to just replace the one bearing. If not i will need to change the whole Leaf CV bucket.