My aircon has died

Talk about the 406's electrical system, what wires do what, how to add extra functionality, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My aircon has died

Postby Welly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:39 am

Any chance any sh*t has got in the system and blocked the expansion valve/filter at the evaporator? other than that perhaps a saturated drier in the condenser (unlikely though) :? someone on here once had a dodgy pressure switch on the top of the condenser but I think that was just where a leak was found.
Respected Motorist wrote:I've been driving for years and never had any problems with night time visibility until these new cars came out with their stupid bright headlights
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Postby Doggy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Crap getting in - always possible, but how to fix?
Condenser's new so drier should be OK.
Leaky pressure switch was on dear departed Puggy's car - (how long has he be gone now)?

Later ones have an analogue pressure sensor that looks the same - guess I could cobble together a way of testing that - (you can swap it without losing the charge, it's has a N/R valve).

All suggestions gratefully received......
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Postby Welly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Flushing is the only way to clean the system and I believe there normally a mesh filter as the a/c pipes connect through the bulkhead - that's where the EV is. Flushing is a bit 'last attempt' though, I'm guessing you need the attention of a good a/c garage really.

Thinking again the compressor will still run with a fairly low gas quantity (will sound grumbly) so maybe it's just nearly out of gas? your 'dirty fix' is leaking?
Respected Motorist wrote:I've been driving for years and never had any problems with night time visibility until these new cars came out with their stupid bright headlights
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Previous

Return to Electrical System and Diagnostics