[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
406oc.co.uk • View topic - Welly in 'buys Jack and does own repairs' shocker...

Welly in 'buys Jack and does own repairs' shocker...

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!

Welly in 'buys Jack and does own repairs' shocker...

Postby Welly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:58 am

My windscreen washers packed in a couple of weeks ago and research told me the washer pump likes to fail without notice.

So all fired up with confidence, off to buy new jack, remove the wheel and wheel arch liner on the WRONG side of the vehicle, inspect arch cavity with nothing in it. replace liner and road wheel.

Jack up the CORRECT side of the vehicle and proceed:

New Jack £25.00 Halfords (down from £35) that'll do for me:

The reservoir:

That's the level sensor, the pump is buried behind the reservoir (great):

This bit of undertray pulls down just enough to reach the pump....:

....to reveal this looking up from underneath that undertray, the pump just pulls out and the wire feed is long enough to fetch the pump around the front of the reservoir to work on it:

And finally the Ford-Branded pump, found a new one on ebay for £14.42 delivered.

Yet another Ford item breaks. Everything that has failed on this car has had Ford stamped on it. Note to self: DO NOT buy a Ford.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Welly in 'buys Jack and does own repairs' shocker...

Postby steve_earwig » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:11 am

I doubt Frod actually make their own pumps, like many things they're probably bought in from a generic supplier in, erm, China. So I wouldn't be put of by the FoMoCo branding, it's probably no more crap than anything else you could buy off of ebay.

Anyway, you needn't worry about finding modern Volvo's littered with shoddy Ford parts any more, they're now owned by the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group of China. Better? Worse? No idea.
Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby Welly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:50 am

I guess it's more about the policy behind the FoMoCo label i.e. 'make this part just good enough to do its job'. Fine for Mr Financed-Focus for the first 3 years, not so good for long-termers like me.
Welly

Postby Captain Jack » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:22 pm

When this 'failed' on my 406, it turned out to be a burned out fuse. I guess it tried to pump frozen wat.. uhm.... ice through and failed.

2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - ????: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Postby steve_earwig » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Mine picked up a small pebble that blocked the outlet to the front screen, it still worked but only sprayed the rear whichever way it span (which was a bit pointless if the front's the one covered in mud.)

1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
steve_earwig

Postby Welly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Weird thing was the bottom of the reservoir had quite a few small stones/grit inside but the only way in is through the sealed filler cap :? there is a strainer mesh on the pump inlet, which is nice.
Welly

Postby Doggy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm

It look's like Halford's didn't have a special offer on a set of axle stands.....

Mustard mit, I have the same views about Frod.
Reasonable? Rational? Of course not, but I know welly and I is right.
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Postby Welly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Axle stands not required. See 'wheel under car' for top safety measures :supafrisk:

I used to work with a guy who's car fell on his face (fell of its Jack). Scarface we called him.

Now I feel paranoid and need to buy axle standz.
Welly

Postby OllieNZ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:19 pm

OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Postby steve_earwig » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Don't make Peter post that picture again :shock: :shock:

1991 Yamaha TDM850
steve_earwig

Postby Welly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:17 pm

I thought about that too :lol:

What was it again? 2 x oil drums and 2 x thick planks?

I liked it though, practical engineering and common sense to get over a difficult to achieve issue.
Welly

Postby OllieNZ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:42 pm

OllieNZ
2.0 Turbo

Postby PeterN » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Iv'e just been using it, one of my 406s failed the MOT on rear tie rods and both front strut bearings, simple I thought - how wrong you can be. :frown:

Peter
PeterN
3.0 24v

Return to Volvo Corner