[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
406oc.co.uk • View topic - More suspension capers

More suspension capers

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!

More suspension capers

Postby Welly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:48 pm

I've got clattery Drop Links up front after the last set 3 years ago, not the end of the world, but what is becoming apparent is KNACKERED DAMPER CHAOS x 4

Over the shitmas break I ferried the Family to a generous meal at a Nando's Chicken emporium. Mrs_Welly and Daughter_Welly sat in the back and on the way there the old woman said that the car felt 'bouncy' in the back :? the young lady also added that "actually Dad it's not very comfy back here" :(

My model came with a "Dynamic Chassis" read: hard ride so its always been a bit harsh but sure enough recently it's actually 'choppy' (like a slammed Corsa). My theory being that the dampers are no longer controlling the compression and rebound of the road springs so I'm literally bouncing about on very tough springs. Literally a person on the Volvo Forum said the same with an enhanced 'wandery' feeling to the car.

Would it seem reasonable* that at 78K miles/10 years the dampers would be knackered? some say they only last 50K miles? I can't really do the bouncy-bouncy test on each corner because the springs just won't give like that.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: More suspension capers

Postby steve_earwig » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Oh bugger :(

Welly - "I think the shocks have had it."
Mechanic makes feeble attempt to bounce a corner - "Oh yes sir, these are definitely worn out and the car is now not safe to drive. Umm, that will be 11,000 quid, plus labour."
Welly - "Bobby, shall I take 'em to the bridge?"
Bobby - "Go ahead!"
Welly - "Take 'em on to the bridge?"
Bobby - "Take 'em to the bridge."
Welly - "Can I take 'em to the bridge?"
Bobby - "Yeah, carry on."
Welly - "Can I take 'em to the bridge?"
Bobby - "Go ahead, yeah."
Welly - "Hit me now!"

I didn't realise Ford had now halved their expected lifespan on suspension components :shock:

Are you absolutely sure and how many kidneys is it likely to cost?
Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby Welly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Not 100% sure but driving the thing every day for 6 years I kinda feel something's not right. And the word on the Forum is most dampers are past it whenever someone has removed one on a 50K+ car :roll: I guess the state of the roads doesn't help.

I'll get down to my long-suffering Mechanic friend soon for a good poke about and chin-scratching session.
Welly

Postby benczuk » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:15 pm

50k miles. I doubt it would last a year down my bumpy track of a 'Road'. I am fast running out of contenders for a replacement brand for the Pug :(

V̶̷o̶̷l̶̷v̶̷o̶̷
F̶̷o̶̷r̶̷d̶̷
B̶̷M̶̷W̶̷

On a side note, I had to find this topic after losing it (accessed by unread posts) and it is my first time in Volvo Corner. I note that over 70% of posts are started by Welly, so I would like to propose a rename to Welly Corner.

Could certainly confuse new visitors when Welly was discussing his winter tyres

:arrowd:

2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
benczuk
3.0 24v

Postby GingerMagic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 pm

1999 T4 family wagon, slow as a turd but the kids like it
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso Hdi90 - Dirtied by the kids, Dented by the wife....
Sadly sold the 406, best cars I have ever owned
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Postby Welly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Welly

Postby DaiRees » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:43 pm

DaiRees
Site Admin

Postby Welly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:32 am