[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 78: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
406oc.co.uk • View topic - My Hypocritical drive to work today

My Hypocritical drive to work today

It's inevitable, resistance is futile!

My Hypocritical drive to work today

Postby Welly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:49 pm

Jumped in the car this morning, pitch black, started the car and got a 'Bulb Failure' warning :frown: now being a Volvo driver I normally keep a stock of H7's for just an event but today I knew I didn't have a spare, so there was I driving one-eyed and after all the times I've criticized motorists for using Foggies or having badly-aimed headlights :oops:

I was embarrassed greatly, I even got my speech ready in case I got pulled by the rozzers: "it blew this morning honest...yeah right!"......got to work and ordered a pair of Osrams from Amazon but it came back with a 1-week lead time :frown: so I've probably got to buy a cheap bulb over the weekend to keep me going.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: My Hypocritical drive to work today

Postby steve_earwig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm

That's fair enough, you knew straight away and will do something about it as soon as - at least you're not driving around for months oblivious to the fact that your car's a Cyclops or your misaligned and/or overpowered headlamps are blinding everyone :evil:

Volvos eat headlamp bulbs then? You wanna get some leds you do, they'll last forever. True you won't be able to see where the f%ck you're going but... :roll:
Talking bollocks sin©e 2007

2004 D9 2.0 HDi 110 Estate lhd VF38ERHZF81657352 - now slod :( :( :(
1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
1953 Matchless G3LS - Seriously!
steve_earwig

Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Postby Welly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Welly

Postby steve_earwig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:47 pm

1991 Yamaha TDM850
2008 Toyota Recall4 2.0 VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVTI ATM LHD JTMBH31V90D007261 - flimsy piece of crap.
steve_earwig

Postby Welly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:55 pm

They're just betterer.....a bit more this, a bit less that you know....

They even have a pair with 24 carrot Gold tips (I'm not joking) :?
Welly

Postby steve_earwig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Must be those ones, at that price :shock:

Actually, quite often when I look at the price of stuff here I check to see where the gold plating is.

1991 Yamaha TDM850
steve_earwig

Postby Doggy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Unforgiveable!

Well no, not really. Whenever I have a dip beam failure, I swap it with the main beam bulb next time I stop. This is eminently possible with a 406, but I recognise some substitute vehicles may not be as sensibly equipped with H7 mains too.

I do a lot of driving in the dark and got thoroughly fed up with random failures like this, so for the last few years I have fitted a set of 4 at a time courtesy of Aldi's £3.99/pair deal that comes around each year about now. Despite these being cheap, they work every bit as well as the well known brand those theiving gits at Halfrauds sold my daughter last week at the special offer price of £20/pair. :evil:
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Postby jasper5 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:06 pm

If you have a Halfords trade card a £10 bulb will cost about £3.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Postby steve_earwig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:07 pm

:shock: that's one hell of a mark-up then! :evil:

1991 Yamaha TDM850
steve_earwig

Postby jasper5 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Trade price for headlight bulbs if you buy in 10s is around £1.20p....depending on where you buy them.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Postby rwb » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Just found out I have xenon HID headlights. Looks like they're about £35 each :shock:

Used to carry spare H7s, and have even run out and had to swap with the main beam -- in the dark by the light of a mobile phone screen :lol:
It went through a phase of eating them, but it cleared itself up.
rwb
3.0 24v

Postby steve_earwig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

It's off topic time again folks - speaking of by the light of your mobile phone screen, I always thought a torch would be a good use for a mobile phone, more than all the other pointless stuff they do. Anyway the other day I pulled my mobile out of my pocket and the flash was permanently on, along with a tiny picture of a torch on the screen :shock: I must have pressed the right combination of buttons by accident. I didn't know they did that! I couldn't figure out how to turn it off so I had to kill the mobile and turn it back on again. And I've had this one for 4 years :oops:

As you were :cheesy:

Edit: I just looked it up, it works if I press & hold the bumhole (*) key. Neat.

Carry on :supafrisk:

1991 Yamaha TDM850
steve_earwig

Postby rwb » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:59 pm

rwb
3.0 24v

Postby teamster1975 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 am

The biggest mistake I made was buying Halfrauds own bulbs, both headlights and tail. They last 5 minutes.
Swapped the whole lot to standard Bosch and touch wood not a single blow for over a year (mind you they'll probably all pop in unison now I've said that...)
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Postby Bailes1992 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:25 pm

I haven't had a problem with Halfords lamps and they are cheap as chips on the trade card.

Another thing that angers me is the word "Bulb". They are not bulbs, blubs grow in the f'ing garden! They are LAMPS! :cheesy:

No excuse though Welly, the S40/V50/C30 is one of the easiest cars I've ever had the pleasure of changing the lights on! Just pull a pin out and out comes the cluster! :shock:
So why don't all manafacturers use this method? :|
2016 Ford Focus Style 1.5TDCi (120ps) - Company Car
2016 Dacia Duster Laureate 1.5DCi 4WD - Wife's
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi - Toy
Bailes1992

Next

Return to Volvo Corner